Master Bedroom Makeover Cottage Style


With cottage style sweeping through my home, it was time to rethink my master bedroom decor.  I had enjoyed the look I had going on, but it was not light, bright and airy.

I had a couple of boosts this year - Graham & Brown offered me free wallpaper and D. Lawless Hardware sent me a second set of the antique handles I had used on my antique washstand project.  With my free wallpaper, a can of paint in a greige tone and a can of Ben Moore Simply White paint I took on the bedroom challenge once again...

I began by installing a high wainscot with the textured bead board wallpaper.  I used 1x4 pre-primed mdf molding to cap the wainscot.  Then I painted the molding to match the trim and I painted out the Lenox Tan paint with a half shade of CIL's Manuscript.  I love this paint colour!!





This is what it used to look like:


You see the night stand?  That got a makeover with the Simply White paint & a new handle courtesy  of  D. Lawless Hardware.


Just a simple change, but the new handle made all the difference.

The same handles and paint colour were applied to my writing table.


Doesn't the yellow punch up this vignette?  I used the print over the table as my inspiration.  I found the yellow clock when I was on vacation.  Luckily the security people at the airport didn't bat an eye at my ticking carry on...   

The metal magazine holder was another dumpster find.  So glad someone threw this out!


I painted the lampshade turquoise to match the headboard and chair.  It could use another coat of paint but I ran out of my turquoise!  Yikes!


I changed out the hollow core doors that had come with the house for these lovely half-louvered bi-folds I found at the dump.   (They are painted the same colour, it's just that one side has been painted 3 times and the other side only twice).


 Cleaned up, painted and hung like French doors instead of on a bi-fold track (something I really hate!), they are a charming addition that is very useful for extra storage and for helping to make decisions...


Just hang whatever you are thinking of wearing on those louvers, stand back and decide what works!  I hung large S-hooks on the back of the other doors for hanging up belts.  A tutorial on how I installed the doors is coming up on another post.

I changed the mirror over my dresser for a turquoise one and painted my jewelry organizer in a brighter shade of turquoise.


While I was slapping paint colour around, I decided to give the dresser a bit of an ombre look by using the trim paint on the top drawers, the wall paint on the middle drawer and the full-shade of the Manuscript colour on the bottom drawer.   Not sure that I'm going to keep this look as I'm in the mood to make over this Ikea dresser.  :)


A challenge developed with my placement of the trim cap.  Where the heck do you hang the artwork?  It's either too high or too low or positioned weirdly because of being hung on the molding.

Luckily I have a huge collection of wall hangings.   I had found these tin tiles several years ago at a yard sale and now I have a place to hang them!



I found a wall shelf at the dump still in its original packaging.  Well you don't have to ask me twice!  Home it came and I found a use for it in this weird little corner created by the off-centre high window and the closet that is jammed up against it.




I still have some work to do in this space to make it perfect, but I am loving my new cottage style bedroom!

Shall I remind you of how it looked when I moved in?  Brace yourselves!


**shudder**

If you want details on how to install the textured wallpaper, click on the photo below:



Have a happy week!


DISCLAIMER:  Although I received free product from partnerships with Graham & Brown and with D. Lawless Hardware, the opinions stated are 100% my own.



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!




Instagram


31 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the changes! Ok, if this takes YOU forever...then it'll be kingdom come for me before my kitchen cabinets are painted! lol

    Love the closet doors! And the wainscot walls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you were a busy bee! Looks great, Anne. Love the artwork and the colors you chose. I'm really crushing on that blue armoire/chest (Is that the right name for it?) It's perfectly wonderful. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bedroom looks great. Love the fresh new wall colour and the Simply White beadboard wallpaper. The hardware looks nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty Anne. I like the change-out of the doors, I need to do that, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely makeover! I especially like the corner with your writing desk. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful room!
    Well done Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the louvered bi-fold doors and the different paintings are perfect touches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bead Board wallpaper! I never knew, I am so excited. I just need to learn how to use hand tools to put the trim on. I love every thing about your bedroom redo. I have a couple questions though. First, what kind of paint did you use on your lamp shade? Spray paint, wall paint applied with brush. Second, Is that an old jewelry box on your writing desk with the stationery in it?

    Thanks for sharing your lovely bedroom makeover. Bu the way, I want your chandelier too. LOL Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. anne i do love your bedroom your chice of colors is awesome, love everything xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Have a great day!!

      Delete
  10. Bravo Anne you did a great job. Love your new cottage bedroom. So cozy and pretty. Very nice.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne, you have THE best ideas. Love the ombre dresser. The wallpaper, wainscot, and closet doors are great additions to your room. Looks airy and comfy. Great job, as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love your bedroom makeover ... from the beautiful handles from D. Lawless to the wonderful wainscoting and the touches of your signature turquoise!!...Love the louvered doors...you are amazing Anne!!! The bedroom is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really nice Anne :-) Love the colours and textures throughout your bedroom, and how you've hung your artwork and tiles. And the louvered closet doors are way handier than regular closet doors! What kind of paint did you use on the lampshade? I haven't had any luck finding shades that I really like for our bedroom, so maybe painting shades is the answer to my dilemma :-) Enjoy relaxing in your new bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it looks beautiful Anne! I love the colors you chose, the wall paper wainscoting, and the closet doors!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love every single thing, the colors the walls, the accessories--every little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the new color and the wallpaper. It's not new, but I have to say I love your bedding. The whole room looks great Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the new color and the wallpaper. It's not new, but I have to say I love your bedding. The whole room looks great Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's amazing what a difference it makes even changing handles. i love the new colours in your bedroom. It looks so light and fresh. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your "new" bedroom : the lighter colour is perfect with all your wonderful turquoise touches and the beadboard adds so much charm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh Anne you may have just solved my paint color dilemma! Our walls are a dark taupe color and I've been wanting to lighten them up without going white. I love the color you used and am going to run over to my CIL retailer to get a paint chip. Your bedroom looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so inspired by this make over. Yet again you've pulled off another gorgeous project with the bb wall paper. I'm hoping to try using the same on my new kitchen walls. I will be referencing all of your info when the time comes. Whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anne! :)
    You had me with 'at the dump'! :)
    Your bedroom is beautiful! I love all the colours you chose and the new handles are perfect. You are so right, something as simple as a handle can totally change the look. Love your new closet doors!
    It's all beautiful!
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne, I love what you did! It's so fresh and cottagey. Are you glad you used the wallpaper instead of beadboard? I have an area in our house where something like this would be perfect. I think wallpaper would even work. I do love the little punches of yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a lovely room....and house! So glad you shared!!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love all the changes you made in this space, Anne! your rooms are always so full of charm!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Christy, what a nice thing to say!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!