New Front Door & Organizing Ideas for a Tiny Front Entry

My new front entry is complete!  New exterior door, new door handle, new wood storm door and some of the landscaping done around my newish front landing!

I am thrilled with my new door and old style wood storm door.

 Take a look!



Let us not forget what it looked like when I moved in...



And after the new door was installed:




I was so thrilled when the exterior door I picked out got installed.  I chose the door and then had misgivings for 2 months while I waited for it to be put in - did I make the right choice of door lite style??


Here it is on Day 1 - unpainted and a 1x3 trim added to beef up the frame.


I love love love my new door handle!

Once it was in, I was certain I had chosen the right door.  See how it repeats the rectangle of the  windows and shutters?  Perfect!!


I also replaced all the skirting boards on the house and got Home Depot to colour match the siding so I could make the skirting look less obtrusive.  I painted the vinyl lattice as well, it looks so much better in the grey than in the white, did you know you could paint vinyl with Behr's paint & primer paint?  My plan was to paint the deck board above the lattice in the siding colour and the railing in white but my tendinitis flared up so much that I had to pare back on all the painting jobs I had planned for this year.  

My new landscaping is beginning to take shape.  Next year will be the big year for the front yard landscape.   Then I began the long job of painting everything - storm door, inside door, trim, etc, etc.



And with a little extra landscaping put in place:



And a little more porch decor


My curb appeal had stepped up a whole lot!

Now to finish up the inside of the front entry.

If you remember earlier this summer I spent a week tearing down the entry ceiling that had been leaking all winter.  Now that the doors were in, I could finish that project and get the insulation and trim up over the door making sure everything was sealed up nicely.

I took the opportunity to give everything in the front entry a beautification and organization makeover.

New hook racks (Ikea) stacked one over the other give plenty of room for umbrellas, purses, jackets, whatever, to be hung neatly at the door.  I can now have a mat at the door, something that was impossible with the old door since it had been installed at the same level as the floor (?!)


I spray painted the mirror frame and gave it some distressing.  The console table was painted in the door colour with a white table top.  It sure brightens up the space!  Baskets hold mittens, hats and gloves (or flip flops in the summer).


That chalkboard is hiding my electrical panel.   I removed the ceiling light to prevent any break in the thermal envelope I created in the ceiling and I haven't gotten my electrician to run wires to a new fixture that will be installed near the electrical panel.  For now I have this cute blue table lamp found at the dump and an Ikea lamp hanging on the opposite wall that has a pull chain for easy on/off.


I used tea towels to line the wire baskets.  I use them to store scarves, grocery bags, sports stuff and all the other paraphernalia I keep at my front door within easy reach.

The black vinyl baskets hold sandals, slippers and lightweight shoes (otherwise you would be overwhelmed with my ginormous shoe collection).  I keep my little step stool in here now to give me a place to sit to put on boots and to help me to reach the top shelf.  It's very versatile.  I painted it to match the door.


Behind the door is the rest of the Martha Stewart closet organizer that I installed to give myself a bit of closet at the front door.  I bought a pre-fab shelf to put over the top of the unit to give me even more storage space.  See those white trays I'm using as boot trays?  They're covers for the old style range tops!  They have this icky flower pattern on the side that is supposed to show (they cover the burners) but flipped over they're the perfect size & no pattern.


A place for everything and everything in it's place!

I had hoped to replace the floor but I haven't found anything I like yet.  A coming attraction!

Have a great week!





With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Follow on Bloglovin

35 comments:

  1. Anne your new doors look beautiful...love the pretty shade of blue you painted them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an improvement. It looks beautiful and very welcoming. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, your front door is wonderful! I love the way you've splashed the blue around on the door and in the entry too. It's so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a transformation from the original look to where it is now. I wonder why the previous owner put such a small landing and stairs to the front door when there's room to make it wider. I love what you've done, both inside and out. Everything is so clean and organized.
    I'm working on some exterior painting and was just thinking today that maybe we need a storm door on the front. Storm doors sure have come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne it looks soooo amazing!!! ALL OF IT....Love your house, I only wish I could come for a snoop in person

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne - Everything looks so good and fresh! You did a great job. Love your front decking.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color you chose, and the design of the doors. The inside is so neat and pretty. You did an awesome job as usual!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much! Happy Monday!!

      Delete
  8. Love your new front door and all the matching extras. I need one too, what did you paint it with?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty. Warm, inviting. welcoming. And very well organized. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you have done! Wish your tendinitis hadn't flared up, but you do what you can do. You are definitely organized. All in all, it looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna! Have a great day!!

      Delete
  11. Like the improvemets to the front entry and the inside entry room. Very creative organizing. I like the basket idea for flip flops at the door. I will have to use that one. :) Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Anne it looks awesome and love the color so pretty. The front of the house looks so welcoming with your pretty new door.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have done so much work and it really shows...it all looks spectacular. What an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good Anne ... you have reason to "sigh and be happy" ... It really is beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I'm impressed! I love the new door and the organized and pretty entry!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, love your new door and your colors. Your entry storage is so clever! Have you thought about using wood to frame up a step to connect your sidewalk with the bottom concrete step, and then pouring in a product called "Quick Crete" in to form a step? It's easy to work with. Hope your tendonitis gets well soon, Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a good idea Bev! I hadn't gotten to the point of thinking about fixing outdoor issues yet, but that idea I love. I'll have to add it to the plate for next summer...

      Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  17. Wow....what a great entry Anne....you know I love the color....you must have undoubtedly the cutest house on the block......Great choice on the beautiful front door!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks wonderful Anne. You always do a great job of tying everything together....Love!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it was a great idea to paint the skirting the same color as the siding. It unifies the whole. Love the door and all the touches to decorate and organize all the clutter that collects by any front door.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your new front porch and door looks amazing! I love how you created organizational systems in your entryway - what a great way to walk into your home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what a difference to the curb appeal of your house since you bought it, Anne. The fabulous front deck, the window shutters, and yes, the door works perfectly with your windows. Love your house!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome makeover Anne! And so clever to choose the door that you did to tie in with your existing windows & shutters :-) You have so many clever ideas, and your designs always look great :-) Love that blue on the door & table & stool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new front door looks wonderful I like the contrast of the colour of the surround. How annoying that you haven't been able to paint everything you had planned. I hope you are not in too much pain. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the new front door and storm door, and the color is so sweet. I really love your little entry way. I wish I had one. Is your entry way heated/cooled with the house? I especially love it when someone finds a new use for something old, like the boot trays/former range covers. so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't you just love organizing? You've found so many ways to create more space in your front door entryway. It's very welcoming and cozy. Love how you used the chalkboard to cover up the electrical and your new front door is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love every change you made! The door design and color is perfect. The lattice is beautiful. All of it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love that extra deck space and all your garden landscaping. such a great look!
    b

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!