Night Stand Makeover - How to add Height

I have an old style, hand made night stand that I didn't terribly like much but it did the job. Then I got my "princess-and-the-pea" extremely high king-sized bed and this old style night table was much lower than the top of the mattress. Why are mattresses so huge these days anyway???

I made over the night stand several years ago, stenciling the top with a Fleur-de-lis pattern that I liked but with my new cottage style look I decided to take the time to fix up this night table once and for all.

BEFORE



I needed to gain an inch or so in height to make it a little more comfortable for use and I wanted to pretty it up a lot.   I pulled the decorative trim off the front of the cabinet and replaced it with a plain 1x6 and a chunk of quarter round trim.

1x4 boards nailed across the top of the night stand give it a planked look and some skinny screen molding mitered around the table top give it a nice finished edge.  This added about 3/8" to the height.  Not enough...



I used some scrap pieces of 1x4 to create feet.  Two  pieces cut with a 22 1/2 degree angle and fastened with brad nails to the inside of the new plain trim give me the inch of height I needed plus a half inch more!  Another two pieces added to the back of the cabinet level it off and to make the new feet look more original to the night table I added another chunk of 1x4 to the sides of the new feet to bring them out to the edge of the base.

I added a bit of bead board wallpaper to the shelf to dress it up a bit and began to prime and paint the whole thing.



I wanted an interesting knob for this cabinet, so I decided to use this cool door plate that I got from one of my many old doors. I've never seen a square one before!  It was exactly the same colour as a knob I had taken off the console table I'm using in my front entry and the knob and back plate fit together like they were made for each other.  I attached the knob to the back plate using a washer and the screw that normally would attach the knob to the dresser and then used short screws to attach the back plate & knob assembly to the drawer.

 



OK now we're getting somewhere!  Another coat of aqua paint on the base and a little styling and she's good to go!


That's my grandma's rosary and prayer book that was given to her in 1912.






Another project off my list - have a great day!




With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!





Instagram


31 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are back with your projects, I was missing you in blog land! lol! The nightstand is really cute now, love how you don't give up on an item just because it doesn't work for your needs anymore!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh great re love of this piece Anne. That color is great and love the unique knob. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great solution and makeover, Anne. How nice that the two separate hardware pieces came together like that. I am taking a break after sanding and staining a table top. I cut down the width of our old farmhouse dining table and had my 18 y.o. son help me cut down the butcher block top. We will be using the new narrower table for an office table in the family room. You have inspired me to get back up and start painting the base. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are so amazing!!! I envy your ability!! The table looks great and love the knob.....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you are too sweet - thank you! It is really nice to be able to create something with my own hands. I am quite hooked on woodworking!

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Cute dresser now, with that knob especially! And who would have guessed you'd use beadboard somewhere on it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful with those feet. So clean and sleek. I love it. The prayer book is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Love the transformation. Looks like a super fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never cease to amaze me with your skills!

    The cabinet looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so clever. I may be able to use this idea on a little cabinet I need to add a base to. Thanks.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another super creative project...and love the hardware/knob that you used...such a great idea...and last but not least...love, love the color Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how cute that is. I hate my big bulky nite stand. I am going to go on a hunt for a little one and use this idea to create my own special nite stand. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so clever Anne. What a difference you made to this night stand - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anne - you are definitely not just a pretty face. What a wonderful job you have done to that table. I agree with you about the unusually high mattresses. I had to get a foot stool to get into mine and I am a tall lady/ Keep up the wonderful blog and Hapoy Fall. Betty from, Ontario Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! Hopefully mattresses will start to shrink back down to normal sizes someday soon!

      xo

      Delete
  14. Nice job Anne- I really like the plank top and the bead board accent :-) I know what you mean about crazy-thick mattresses. It's really hard to find fitted sheets that actually fit a normal sized mattress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great transformation! Great job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute, Anne! I love the addition of the beadboard wallpaper! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the before AND the after! I do like the new soft aqua colour better, and what luck with the knob assembly from bits you already had. Great look in the end :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your vision, Anne. Not to mention your ability to see it to fruition. This is a great makeover. Lovely color. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's like a whole new piece and yeah, why do beds just keep getting bigger and bigger? What's with that, lol? Looks awesome, Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anne! :)
    What a transformation, it looks like a totally different nightstand! I love the feet! And the door plate looks amazing behind the knob!
    What really got me though was your grandmothers rosary and prayer book from 1912 - such a special thing to have!!
    Kimberley :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great transformation! The height of nightstand is always a problem to me as well. Too heigh or too low and it's really not easy to use. You had the perfect solution, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have such great vision with all your projects. It doesn't look anything like it's former self and I love the new feet you made for the side table.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your night stand's new outfit! Thank you for sharing this inspiration at Making Broken Beautiful! I hope you will come and inspire again!
    Have a great day!

    Smiles!
    Terry
    thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!