Turning Bi-Fold Closet Doors into French Doors

Bi-fold doors are not a favourite of mine. I dislike the way they take up so much of the opening to my closets and in my house the bi-fold doors are hollow-core so I dislike them even more! 

When I found half-louvered wood bi-fold doors at a yard sale, I snapped them up planning to install them on my master bedroom closet.

Instead of using the bi-fold track, I decided to install them on hinges attached to the trim around the closet opening.



I used T-hinges (my favourite hinge!) to hang the doors to the door frame. Then I painted the hinges in the same colour as the trim and doors to hide them.   I left the bi-fold hinges intact so that I could fold the doors neatly to the side of the opening if I chose to.  The way I move furniture around this place, who knows how much room I may have to open these doors in the future!

If you want true French doors, you can use mending braces across the top and bottom of each set of doors - you won't see these braces at all because they're located on the edges not across the front.  The mending brace looks like this:

You lay the brace across the break in the two panels and use two screws on one panel and two on the other panel at both the top and bottom of the panels.  Then they move as one unit.

I covered the old bi-fold track with a 1x4 plank nailed over the top of it, leaving enough space for the new doors to fit within the frame.  Then I attached magnets to the 1x4.


Metal plates are attached to the tops of the new doors with screws.


Now I have easy access to my closet and storage on the backs of the doors as well.


And my closet seems HUGE now too.  Extra bonus for when I decide to sell!

This is what the old closet doors looked like (and my old bedroom decor, too)



And now


These new doors totally work with my cottage style decor.  Love them!!

If you want to see the rest of the bedroom, click HERE

Have a happy week!






With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



Instagram


20 comments:

  1. Genius my friend. You are so DIY clever!!!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea it can be so annoying trying to find things in tight spaces! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Finding the doors and having the idea was great, but hanging them functionally yourself, now that takes some skill. They look great and it is always nice to see more easily into a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your doors! Great job. Seems like an excellent way to use the inside louvers also.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so much better, Anne. My whole house is full of ugly bi-folds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! What a great job - I always hated track bi-folds too - and hollow core - so lightweight and yuck.

    Yay! Bedroom lookin mighty good, lady! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks nice, Anne. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing how much more room that makes. And using the back of the doors to hang stuff is a plus. I do not like bi-fold doors either. The new doors look so much better with your bead board wallpaper. Great job Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The doors look great, Anne. Our builder did much the same, used bi-fold doors on our guest room closets, but didn't add hinges so they open like french doors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea Anne - LOVE them - I have a couple of them that I'm going to install on a barn door track !
    ( is bifolding officially passe now lol ? )
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you fall asleep at night coming up with ideas to change your house?

    You have such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a great idea and they had great style to your room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You just keep coming up with one creative idea after another :-) Love your new closet doors! And I agree, hollow core bi-folds are pretty crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anne! :)
    What a great idea! The new doors look amazing, and you are right, being able to 'open' a door makes for a bigger looking closet! We have the same slats on the upper half of our entry closet doors and I love how you can hang things on the inside too!
    I love how they add to your bedroom cottage style!
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  16. In our townhouse we had the most annoying bifolds in the 2nd bedroom. This would have been such a great solution, but hey, I just noticed the closets in the new house have bifolds too. Putting this on our to-do list. Yet another awesome project, Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the new closet doors and think you are quite ingenious.
    I bet we'd work well together. I am great with the ideas, but often lack the "how" to pull them off. That is where my hubby currently saves my bacon. Like you, he is good on figuring out just how to carry my big ideas off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!