I began September by working on a project to extend the eaves of my workshop so that the snow wouldn't settle at the foundation and flood the shop in the spring anymore.
Since my goal is to clean out all the scrap materials I've been
That project became a lean-to shed instead. (I've always been a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda girl LOL!). I had 7 old doors in my shed of various sizes and shapes and I thought they would make excellent siding, so I got cracking building a frame to attach all the doors to.
I used up 2x4s, 2x6s, plywood, pressure treated wood, old doors, old windows and anything else I could lay my hands on to build what I now refer to as my little crooked shed. It is completely free standing but I didn't properly level the pallets I built the shed on, so it leans toward the shop. GAH!
I don't recommend anyone follow my technique, it was a mishmash thanks to all the scraps I used and tried to fit into the job. On the bright side, it doesn't look too bad now that it is all painted. On the down side, this took way too much time to put together and more ingenuity than I wanted to invest...
Here are all the photos, prepare yourselves for some really ugly looking stuff.
Above are the sides framed according to a This Old House trash can shed video I found. You can see the failed awning project on the other window with the poor, forlorn bracket hanging on for dear life. The pallets are heavy duty ones that are used for transporting very heavy materials. These suckers are sturdy!!
See how the fronts are framed? Two 2x4s with a space left on the front 2x4 for the crosspiece. The back crosspiece is attached the same way only the 2x4 brace is attached on the flat side to the side piece because the back crosspiece is a double 2x6 header. There are also 2x4 braces added above and below the center crosspieces all the way around but I forgot to take a photo.
I slapped a sheet of plywood across the back while I still had access to do so. It is a 3/4" 4x8 sheet so it helped to square things up and hold things together.
I didn't take as many photos as I intended to. Here is the shed with as many doors and parts of doors attached as I could slap in place. The front was framed on the ground and then stood up and nailed in place. You can't use screws for framing, they are too brittle and tend to break at the head which leaves you with some sketchy support. 3 1/2" nails are the way to go. My arm still aches.
The roof is just 2x6s that I laid flat because I had no room to stand them on edge thanks to tucking the shed under the eaves of the shop. They're not as strong as they should be, but I spaced them close together to make up for it. Here the roofing is just laid on top because I didn't have time to cut it until the following weekend.
I hemmed and hawed over what to do for a door since all I had were 24" wide doors and I wanted a 34" opening. I decided to install the last 24" door I had and come up with another solution for the other 10".
I built a 10" wide board and batten shutter and installed it with hinges on one side of the opening.
I left the old door hardware on to give me a friction fit close. This is what I mean:
Because the latchbolt is spring loaded, it holds the shutter and the door tightly together. I don't have to do anything more to keep the doors closed.
I still need a bit of trim above the doors to tidy it up. A bit of tarpaper and some metal roofing and my shed is done! on the outside anyway. I have big plans for the inside to be carried out next summer.
For the awning side, I propped an old door underneath the bracket to give it more support and I attached another old door to the side of the shop with 2x4s. Then I added some crosspieces and support pieces with a 3/4" 4x8 sheet of plywood for the roof. More tarpaper and tin roofing and I'm satisfied that the roof will keep the wet away from the foundation of my shop.
I'm disappointed that I ran out of time for trimming and painting, but I lucked out with our super long warm fall weather.
I found another window door that I used to balance the look of the shed. Check out the new look!
If you'd like to check out some of my other outdoor projects, click on this photo:
With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!