House Tour 2015

Every year when I take stock of my seemingly never-ending to do list on the house, I think I'm close to finishing the work. This year I KNOW I'm close!! I got so many of the little niggling things completed and took a big whack at a few of the larger things too!

My goal this year was to create a larger opening between the living and dining rooms but a leaky front entry ceiling took precedence and the living/dining room opening will have to wait...

Here is my new front entry complete with a new front door and storm door!

Now that my front deck and porch are built, I can focus on landscaping the front yard.  I feel so happy when I come home at the end of the day!


My bedroom got a fresh new look when I took on that challenge again this summer.  A textured wallpaper wainscot, fresh paint on the walls and furniture and new closet doors gave the space a light, bright cottage style look.






and a newly made over nightstand that fits my decor


I scored a vintage 3/4 size iron bed for my guest bedroom  an antique bistro chair and added a gallery wall.




A new laptop desk completed the home office makeover (for now anyway because I definitely plan to redecorate this space next year!)




I built my own version of a vintage washstand and redecorated the main bathroom for the 5th time...


Bead board textured wallpaper was used to create a 4' wainscot and a new paint job on the walls and floor brightened the space up even more!  I even painted the lights in the wall colour!


I then found an antique washstand and refinished it.  I also picked up new drapes at a yard sale and added bead board wallpaper to the backs of my bookcases. These additions gave the living room a bit of  a new look.




The dining room got new drapes too and pops of turquoise in the form of painted furniture to freshen it up.





And I found a vintage Singer sewing machine table to add to my collection of antiques! 


Isn't it sweet?!

The laundry/mudroom got tidied up when I used some leftover bead board paneling to create a wainscot and to build a cover for the ugly pipes that stuck up out of the floor.


Shutter doors to cover the closet organizer shelves and a shelf with curtain to disguise the kitty litter gave this space a much needed visual clean up!



What I didn't show you was the wainscot I added around the entrance of the mudroom.  I had the back door replaced at the same time as the front door and while I had all the trim torn apart, I took advantage of it to add the wainscot.




I love how much character this simple wainscot added to the space.

New lever door knobs that match the colour of the hinges (what a concept!) on my hallway doors made my life easier and gave the house some added value too!


The kitchen got new full-extension drawer slides, a custom wall shelf from a hutch top and a fresh coat of paint.  Oh and I added a custom panel to the dishwasher by cutting a piece of wood veneer down to size and attaching it to the existing dishwasher door with Command Strips!  (I love those things!!) Painting it in the same colour of the cabinets makes the dishwasher blend in better.  Stainless steel is ok but I prefer the sweep of white base cabinetry in my tiny kitchen space. 
Best of all, the panel is completely removable leaving no trace at all!





Whew!  What a year!!

I still have some big plans in store for landscaping, opening up the living/dining rooms and fresh paint colour to add some brightness to those two northeast facing rooms. 

Things are winding up here at Ashcroft Cottage!  (yes I went with a new name too - I need to create a sign...)

Thanks for visiting!  



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Follow on Bloglovin

43 comments:

  1. Oh Anne you have achieved a dream home that only a few could! All by yourself!
    Kudo's!! Applause!
    So warm and welcoming!
    Is all the artwork yours? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have worked your tushie off, Anne and it SHOWS! I can't even believe - even as I went along with you for the projects- how much you were able to accomplish! Well done, friend, bravo! Looks incredible! I couldn't even tell you which project is my favorite - but I do thinkt he overall cottage look of the wainscot or wainscot paper is remarkable - really tells the story I think you are wanting to say. Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne, you rocked this out. I can't think of a better name then Rock Star. What major and beautiful changes. The antique sewing machine and door are great as well as everything. You should be very proud. Sorry I've been MIA.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, I'm constantly amazed at your creativity. Your rooms just 'flow' together with such continuity. You are a super talented lady. Living in the snowy mountains as we do, I'm still worried that you or your guests may fall into that gap between your front walk and the first concrete slab. Covered in ice and snow, that gap could trip someone. With your 'building smarts', it would be so simple for you to frame up that open space with 2 x 4's, mix up some Quick Crete with water and pour in. It sets up quickly and makes a nice concrete slab. You can also mix dry concrete that comes in a bag with sand and water and pour this into the frame created by your 2 x 4's. Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry Bev, that sidewalk is completely out of use in snow months. All the snow from the driveway/deck is piled high there. The concrete repair is on my radar for next summer. Thanks so much! xo

      Delete
  5. amazing Anne, your house has so much personality and one can get lost in studying all the little details in the pictures!!!! LUV!!!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, you have done a wonderful job. I'm happy to have been on the journey watching the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di! I am honoured that you have been along for this whole ride! xox

      Delete
  7. It is beautiful! Your home looks so comfortable and inviting. My favorite blog posts are home tours. I just love to see how others decorate and make rooms their own. You have done an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home is looking so beautiful. Every little detail just makes it that more "home". You have done an amazing job. You are an inspiration.
    I love your lights in the kitchen. I've looked through your site but must have missed the source. Would you mind sharing the manufacture of the lights above the sink? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Peggy! Those lights were from Home Depot, they're Hampton Bay. I'm pretty sure they still sell them!

      Thanks for your very sweet comment!

      Delete
  9. You did quite a bit! Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your home is lovely and you have worked so hard! Love the new entry and deck. The full extension drawer guides look like they function extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - when you put all your home projects together in one post, it's really impressive to see how much you've done! Your whole home is so cleverly designed and decorated, and I can see you in every room :-) Love seeing your artwork on the walls around your house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne,
    You should be so proud of yourself. Every single diy you have done in these rooms is gorgeous. I love seeing your home all in one post. Super amazing, cozy and so beautiful.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooo pretty, cozy, comfortable and welcoming! Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks so fresh and beautiful Anne! You've done such a great job with all your projects, I can't wait to see what you do next year. :o]

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anne....your home is so beautiful and to think that all of the beautiful work in the house was done by you!...You are so amazingly talented....there is such a sense of calm and coziness when you enter your home starting with the beautifully renovated foyer. AND, that Singer Sewing machine is fabulous!....you restored it to its shining glory...love it!!....Thanks for the tour....you should be so very proud of what you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne,
    Your home is lovely....you did a great job! I love the sink in the bathroom. It shows you put a lot of work into this home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne you have the most inviting home, and I love all the improvements and changes you have made! You have been one busy, BUSY gal this year. To think I was happy with painting my kitchen cupboards as my only home improvement ;) I like the way you have a very clear image of how you want your house to be in the cottage design. You have good reason to be proud of your gem of a home.
    .... Happy Thanksgiving!! ...
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anne! ;)
    OhMyGosh! This is the first time I have seen everything together in one post, I loved reading it this way because it truly shows just how much work you have done. You have done an amazing job. I love that bead board wallpaper, it really is so versatile in so many places and it looks amazing in every application you used it in!
    I can't wait to see your next projects!
    Ashcroft Cottage, that's a good name!
    Have a wonderful weekend Canadian Thanksgiving weekend!!
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. You have accomplished so much this year. It is a lot of work, but so enjoyable when it is complete. It looks wonderful, and I love the blue here and there and on the new front door. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow girl you have done a lot this year! Your home is so beautiful, cozy and inviting! I LOVE your creative way that you added shutter doors to your organizer! Love all of your ideas and inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing your home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your home looks amazing and I truly admire all the changes you managed to do this year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love following all the changes you've made. I especially enjoy the front patio and expanded entrance. Congratulations on feeling like you're getting close to finished. I'm not sure I'll ever feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been following your progress this year, but I hadn't realized how much you've actually accomplished this year. the transformation is amazing and your style is really showing through. I'm inspired by so many of your projects and hope to be able to apply some of them to our new home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anne, your home is beautiful. You did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've had a busy year and it's really paid off. Your home is charming. Uniquely you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have worked so hard!! It looks incredible. I hope you love, love it because it's so beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow lady, you're are like a one woman machine! Is there nothing you can't do!? I'm so impressed and to top that off, your home looks so amazing! Excellent job Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful! Looks like a cozy cottage I would love to visit :) I like all the shades of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, gotta love when a 'plan comes together'! Great cohesiveness to this lovely home. I especially love the batten board, used here and there. Again, cohesiveness....makes the spaces seem bigger as they flow into one another...love it! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have a very beautiful home, thank you for sharing it with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What can I say? I love your home. Every year I think you can't outdo the previous year, but somehow you always do! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a little bungalow too ( and quite old :) What fun it was to visit here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm a new follower, so just getting to see this post and wanted to tell how much I love your home! You have done a great job (as so many have said) at making it "flow" decoratively, and all the added touches make it so comfy and easy to live in, I'm sure. The wainscoting and use of paper beadboard give it cohesiveness from room to room. I'm so envious of your mudroom and entry! I love the shutters you used, also, and that old Singer table is a classic and so decorative. Kudos on your work as a woodworker and decorator, as well as your many other talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comments! and welcome!

      Delete
  34. Anne,

    What an adorable home you have. I especially like that each room, whilst in the same style as the others has it's own personality and charm.

    Your the best,
    ~Kiki~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!