$60 Craig's List Dining Room

A few weeks ago I found an oval dining table on Craig's List.  It is EXACTLY what I have been searching for!  I was so excited.  The table was only $50 so I was prepared for it to need refinishing.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it was in reasonably good condition!

It wouldn't fit in my car, though, so I was looking at it with an eye to taking the whole thing apart when the man selling it offered to deliver it to my house.  A very generous offer considering we didn't live in the same town!  Several days later, the table was delivered AND set up by the man and his wife.  How sweet is that?!  Here is a look at the table when I first got it home:






It's too late in the year now to refinish the table so I am keeping it this way for the winter.  I was now ready for a new chandelier...  Since I plan to tear down part of the wall between the living room and dining room and I can't decide yet whether I am going to swap the two spaces around, I didn't want to invest in a chandelier only to discover that now I need a much longer chain to swag it over to the new position of the table. Back to Craig's List...

Here's the shot of the dining room with the current light fixture (sorry for the crappy photo!)



I found this cute light fixture for $15.

 

It looked almost like a pewter finish!!

I picked it up and discovered it was a builder's basic chandelier with a nickle finish that I didn't care for.  So I spray painted it oiled bronze.  And then I broke one of the glass shades - GAH!   So here it is without shades and with crystals I attached to glam it up a bit.


The original chain wasn't long enough to drop the chandelier to the right position over the table, but there was enough electrical cord to do it.  Thanks to my large collection of lighting parts, I had a bronze chain and two hooks from another fixture that I swapped out with the original chain to give myself the look and length I wanted.  And I need to invest in a set of matching light bulbs too...

Here's the whole room:



Catch my "new" Singer sewing machine table in the corner?  Another Craig's List find from 2 months ago... I love Craig's List :)


That hutch?   Yet another Craig's List buy (I use the term Craig's List loosely, the actual online classifieds service I use is Kijiji but it is only in Canada apparently).

And here is Max being his useful self:


Unfortunately we haven't had any sun since I got the room together, so the photos are a bit dark.  The table runner is a scarf I bought at Superstore and never could wear because it is so HUGE.  I love the colours and pattern, though, so this is a good alternative!

I can't decide if I should paint the base of the table in turquoise or in off-white, and if in off-white, should I repaint the chairs to match???  I hate trying to make decisions about paint colours!!!  Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts, I have 6 months to mull it over!!

Total cost of my dining room?   $60

Breakdown = Hutch $100, Table $50, Singer Table $90, Chandelier $15 - total cost $255

less sales of my old stuff:

Dining table $75, an occasional table that the Singer table replaced $35, my office chair $30 (replaced by my one of my old dining room chairs), the sale of a pair of skates I no longer use $30, and the shelving unit I used to have in my bathroom $25.

Fun, isn't it?  And searching for the perfect pieces is a great way to spend a few minutes every day, much more productive than Pinterest I must say!  Plus it keeps things recircling instead of being taken to a landfill site.  I love that the pieces I bought have a history.  Those scrapes and knocks tell stories.

Happy creating!

ps if you want to see how the dining room looked this past summer, click HERE


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!





Instagram



40 comments:

  1. Your dining room table was such a bargain. I love the pattern of the wood on the top. We had a round pine table and we painted the based and chairs and cream chalk colour from Annie Sloan. i liked the colour but the paint hasn't worn well. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO thrilled for you! Fifty dollars for that gorgeous solid heavy dining room table? Plus free home delivery and set up (which tells me what a sweetheart you must be for them to have done that.) How worth the wait and searching was that?! The size and shape fits your dining room perfectly. I like it so much! The carving on the sides looks so rich and adds just the right amount of detail. I especially like the photo of the hutch and table, and they look just great together. The chandelier is the right size and shape, too. Everything looks so pulled together. Oh, and I love the glimmer added by the crystals. I think your dining room's my favorite room in your cottage now. Way to go, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that picture of Max is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I would find a table like that, it is just beautiful and I like how you did the light fixture. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! Lucky girl! I love that table! Its raining here too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS wooden table for such an amazingly thrifty price - well done, Anne!!!!

    You did a fab job on your new-to-you chandy, too. Sorry you broke one of the shades- I hate that. I do stuff like that all the time. Ugh. Teapots, that makes me crazy when I have a 150 year old teapot in my possession for a millesecond before I chip the spout cleaning it. /cringe

    Hope you keep with sunny days soon- today was cold, damp and dismal with rain, too. But we''ve had such perfect weather I cannot complain. We actually needed rain. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great, Anne! If I were you, I would leave the table as it is. I like how the wood of the table plays off the wood on top of your hutch. Need contrast between your table and the floor? Keep an eye out for an area rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hartwood Roses, we agree perfectly with your suggestion! The great table is too pretty to paint, and it also picks up the color of the fiber of the chair seats. An area rug would pull everything together and provide contrast, too. Anne, we love your oil rubbed bronze on the chandelier! You are so talented! Bev

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Bev! I'll rethink the painting of the base. The only trouble is that it is in really bad shape - their dog chewed up the feet pretty badly & I don't have the right tools to fix this kind of damage... Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. That is a really nice table. I wouldn't give advice on if you should paint or what colour to paint it since everyone likes different things. With mine, which sits on hardwood floors I painted the legs and apron white (and the chairs) to let it stand out from the floor because I didn't want a rug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have that exact same table. We've had it for over 25 years and raised our 4 kids on it....lots of memories there. Really looking forward to see what you do with it. Mine is still original because I haven't had the heart to change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wilma! It's such a gorgeous table that I wouldn't even consider paint except that their dog chewed up the base pretty badly!

      xo

      Delete
  10. That table is gorgeous and the lamp re love beautiful. Great job Anne. Love little Max supervising!!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Max, what a cutie!! That table is some bargain.....good for you!! I like the wood on top, maybe paint the base in aqua since that is the other color in the room, the apron has beautiful detail....would look nice painted and then accent the detail, you know how to do all that stuff!! And, I gotta say, the light looks good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much!! Hopefully I'll choose exactly the right finish for the table or you'll be seeing a lot more of it over the next year!!!

      Delete
  12. Your dining room looks so pretty. I would leave the chairs as is even if you paint the table base. You can always repaint them later if you decide you don't like the combo. You got some great deals, and yay, no weirdos on craigslist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like what you did with the lighting fixture. $50, free delivery and setup, girl that was a homerun. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I saw that picture of Max on FB yesterday. He is a riot.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the table ... love the entire room ... love that you used a scarf on the table (last week I used a rug as a table runner!) ... and love Max!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great bargain; the table is beautiful and the seller was kind ! Your room is lovely and I particularly love the sewing machine table there that I noticed ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb! The seller was super kind - how nice is that?! That Singer stand was another Craig's List find from earlier this year - no rust at all, I was so pleased to get my hands on it!! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  16. If the base is darker it shows wear and tear less. Just a thought.
    Aqua is a favorite color now but maybe not later. White is a classic.
    For now the cool blues go well with the warm browns of the table.
    What a wonderful find.
    Love the scarf as runner. I've done that, too.

    Max is his handsome, photogenic self. I'd frame a picture of that pose.
    A gallery wall for Max.... hum....maybe?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Max would agree with you! Thank you Frances! I agree that white would be more classic. I feel a chair makeover coming along with the table makeover... :)

      Delete
  17. I would paint the base cream and sand down the top of the table and stain it darker. Or paint it to look like driftwood. Just my two cents :-) Love how the chandelier turned out - I think breaking the glass shade was a good thing, I like the exposed bulbs :-) My hubby calls the mismatched bulbs in our entry chandelier a feature ;-) Max is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That table was meant for you....how lovely of that couple to come and deliver and set it up!....they surely must have liked you...I can understand why. I am sure that you will come up with the perfect color for the table and chairs...you will have some time thinking about it!...I spy that great sewing stand/table in the corner....and I am sure that Max may have an opinion or two!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you want more shades for your light, look at your local Habitat for Humanity store. You get more light without the shades and it looks great though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Max is so cute!
    What a great deal you got on this table and I love that they delivered it and set it up too! I love the size and shape of it! And I vote for the same colour as your china cabinet!
    I love what you did to the chandelier and that's the pits that one of the shades broke but I do love it without shades and the crystals you added make it so pretty!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  21. awww that Max is adorbs!!!! Love him!!!! The chandelier looks amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  22. That table is a beauty. Like you said, you are just leaving it as if for now. That gives you time to get a feel for what you really want to do with it. Perhaps you could start a board on Pinterest of dining room tables (if you don't already have one) and just start collecting ideas to see what really calls your name. Lots of great comments from your friends on the possibilities, and I'm sure that helps, too. Of course, the shandy and Max are a delight, as well xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great finds. I really love the chandelier transformation. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  24. The table has great details on the skirt. You were really lucky to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the chandelier transformation, Anne. Max is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great deal! 50! And all the other bargains-Wow! I am not sure about how I would paint it, but I know you will come up with something interesting. I like the new chandelier too. You did a great job transforming it Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Piękny stół, podoba mi się połączenie tych błękitów z kolorem drewna, a żyrandol to istne cudo! Pozdrawiam Dora

    ReplyDelete
  28. First of all, you are at the top of the list of my favorite bloggers. So many of us can relate to your small house and budget rather than the huge pricey homes and renovations of so many bloggers out there. Now for suggestions - I'm of the opinion that chairs should match either the bottom of the table or the top so that they relate to each other. I would probably paint the bottom of the table a creamy white and the chairs to match, leaving the top either as is or stained a darker color. I think at some point you are going to "tire" of the blue hutch and I see a creamy white in its future also. I love the darker chandelier but would replace the shades since they soften light against the ceiling but would keep the crystal drops. Every room needs a little bling. You're doing a wonderful job on your little house and I love it. Oh, love Max too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for that sweet compliment! You made my whole year!! I think I agree with you about the chair thing (and I've already thought of repainting that hutch!). Thanks for your suggestions! xo

      Delete
  29. Great buy! I love finding good buys like that and making it work. The chandy looks great above the table ...and that hutch! Ahh just gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful table and so nice that they delivered and set it up for you - it's nice to know that there still are really nice people out there. I actually really love your new light fixture too and I think I like it better without the shades. So funny you mentioned the scarf - some of them are so huge that they are way better suited for decorating than wearing - I have a couple like that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well that broken glass shade was a blessing in disguise because the chandelier looks so pretty without them! I love the paint color of your chairs - they work so beautifully with that gorgeous hutch. For my two cents, I think painting the table base an off white will play off the pretty colors beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!