I love light, I love sunshine streaming through windows and lighting up my house. This was not the case in my kitchen. Last year I renovated the space and added a pass through window in one of the walls. Now the sun can reach the kitchen - hooray!! But it is still not a terribly well-lit space.
Cue my desire to open the wall between the living and dining rooms - the dining room is the brightest room in the house. That, however, will be a big job because the wall is a supporting wall (at least I'm treating it that way, even if the building inspector didn't think it was). I decided to tackle the opening from the living room into the kitchen instead since I know for sure that wall isn't supporting.
The existing doorway was not properly trimmed out and it has bothered me since day 1. My biggest thrill was ripping that sucker down :) .
Naturally this wasn't going to be as easy as I wanted it to be. Oh no. For some reason, every wall in this house seems to be covered in multiple layers of drywall. In this case, on the living room side, it was two layers of drywall, a layer of furring strips and a layer of wood panels. Sigh...
Here's what it used to look like:
So I tore off the paneling and the drywall to expose the framing. That was the fun part. Then it stopped being fun. lol
Here is the real reason why I have the bookcase against this wall. This lovely patch of rough plywood with a big hole in it and electrical wires exposed. A proper feast for Max!
Thing of beauty, eh?
Well now it looks like this because I repurposed the paneling I tore off the other side of the doorway.
Then that drywall came down and the framing began.
Two 2x6's on edge, nailed together and set on two 2x4's nailed into the existing studs. I unfortunately ignored the instruction to insert a piece of 1/2" plywood between the two 2x6s because I didn't have any and couldn't see why it was necessary... the extra half inch is what brings the header out to the edge of the studs. Lesson learned!
Can you see the gap between the header and the stud holding it up in the photo below? Pain in the butt to trim out now.
Then the really fun part of trying to get the two pillars on either side of the door to the same size since I had no drywall on one side and 4 1/2 layers on the other side. I fudged it with many layers of wood and trim. Nuff said!
and here it is all done!
I'm a little disappointed that the photos don't show how much better the flow and light is now. The brighter paneling makes a huge difference too. Now I'm trying to decide if I should paint the whole room in the Almond Cream or leave the paneling as a feature wall and go with my first choice which was the half shade of Manuscript from the master bedroom makeover. See photo below - upper portion of wall.
The floor patching was not my finest hour; however, I will be cleaning all that up next summer.
Thanks for visiting!
With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!