DIY 2-Position iPad Stand (Ikea Hack)

I use my iPad ALL.THE.TIME. I use it as a mini-tv in my bedroom, as a reader, when I travel, when I don't want to sit in my home office or lug my laptop around (especially since the battery life is almost nil now!), and when I'm cooking because I use online recipes a whole lot.

I've been using a 360 degree iPad cover for the past few years but it is literally falling apart and won't prop up anymore. I took the cover off my iPad because it was frustrating me so much, but what to do??? I need something inexpensive to prop up the iPad so I can view it easily. I tried using a plate holder but it didn't work all that well.




While searching through my workshop, I came across these Ikea shelf brackets that I had been using in the kitchen before I overhauled the space.  They're super inexpensive, too!  and they come in two sizes.  I used the smaller size for the iPad mini but the larger size would work great for the regular sized iPads!

EKBY VALTER BRACKET - IKEA

I used one bracket and two Scrabble tile holders for this project.  I attached the scrabble holders to the front and back of the bracket with a hot glue gun and then decided to use a few brad nails to better secure the holder.  I don't know if that is really necessary, I just like using my nail gun :).  It worked well just like that, but I had a piece of bead board panelling (naturally!) just the right size for this project, so I hot glued that to the front of the bracket for extra stability.


Then I painted the whole thing.  And since I already had the Scrabble stuff out, I added a decorative edge of Scrabble tiles to cap the edges.

 

I didn't have another U tile, so I hand wrote the U in Sharpie on the tile.


Total cost for this project:  $3.00   $2.00 for the bracket, 50 cents for the Scrabble set (from the local thrift shop) and I figure about 50 cents worth of paint, glue and brad nails.

It works like a charm!


Happy creating!





With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!





Instagram


13 comments:

  1. Love it! The scrabble tiles make it so cute and stylish!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Anne, I don't have an iPad, but my daughter does, so I'll ask her if she'd like a stand of some sort and try to make something similar. You got me excited when I saw the lighting winner was "Julie," but it's not me :( Congratulations Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this so much! I understand all the words you made with the tiles. Favestaid?? Help me with this one?????

    Congrats to Julie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really clever Anne. I don't have an iPad but most in the family do, so a great idea for a gift.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever idea, Anne! Much less than what it would cost to buy one, and unique!
    xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne,
    So cute, I love the words you made with the Scrabble tiles. Genius to use the IKEA shelf bracket this way!
    Congratulations to Julie the light contest winner!!
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Hugs, Kimberley :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So clever Anne. Love the scrabble tiles.
    Happy Week End.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the stand you made. I really need some sort of stand for mine and just might copy your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever Anne - LOVE this idea. NEED this for the same frustrations you shared. Pinned to share and to refer back to because this has been added to my To Do List!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea!....you always come up with the most creative solutions and do it so beautifully!!!...love it...congrats to Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Like it. You shared good information. Very useful for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!