2016 Wish List


Well 2015 was a great year even though I wasn't able to do some of the things I had planned to.

2016 began with a new addition to my family.  Meet Izzy (Isabelle) everyone!

 

She is approximately 3 months old and had a rocky start to her life.  She was found with her littermates discarded at the side of a road in a cardboard box.  Two of the pups had already expired in the cold and the rest had bad worms and the worst lice the vets had ever seen.  She is a bit underweight still and small for 3 months.  She's only 10 pounds!  From the look of some of the pups, there is husky or Finnish lapphund in the mix and the rest look like border collies.  Izzy is a little darling!

Bear with me as I go through her first few months living here.  I won't have much time for DIY projects...

That being said, I do have three big projects planned for this year.  I am definitely ripping a wider opening in the wall between the living and dining rooms - remember this was on last year's list but I had to fix the front entry instead when the ceiling began leaking.




I have decided to reposition the opening as well.  So the new opening will be where the TV is right now and I plan to leave open the spaces between the studs on either side of the new opening.  It will look something like this although I won't have windows so the sidelights will look much wider than this.


Then I'll be able to swap the living room and dining room spaces.   I intend to pull up all the laminate flooring to expose the original fir floors while I'm doing this work. Let's hope they're in good condition!  At any rate, the laminate isn't in good condition so it will have to be replaced either way.

Next big job is finishing my landscaping but that is more grunt labour than expense.

Here's my new front porch.


The garden will take over all the lawn you see in the above photo and there will be a pathway going all around it to the gate on the left hand side of the house.

Last big job is a new deck for my master bedroom (not doing this one myself!).  I have two decks in my back yard, a large one off the mudroom and a pimple of a deck off the master bedroom.  The master bedroom deck looks like it came from some other house and was slapped in place as a temporary measure.  This year I am hiring a carpenter to build a much wider and deeper deck that will meet up with the mudroom deck so that you have only one step down to the master bedroom deck and one step down to the yard.


Since this deck isn't going to address my need for shading the garden door from the sun or protecting it from the cold in the winter (not a well insulated door!), I am going to build a tiny porch enclosure for the door and the inevitable platform I will need to step down from the door to the new deck.  I found this inspiration:


and then there's this one 


and I love love love this one



Anyway, that's the direction I'm headed in.

The other major job that my neighbours have planned, is to replace this oh-so-lovely fence that separates us:


If that project goes ahead this year as planned, I will be DELIGHTED!  Plus it means that 90% of my landscaping/hardscaping work will be done.

Hope you tag along for the fun.  Izzy wants to get to know you!




Happy New Year everyone!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Follow on Bloglovin
SHARING WITH:

34 comments:

  1. Glad you rescued Izzy, may she have a good life! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, good luck with Izzy, she is so cute! You really could build your own deck, it's no more difficult than some of the projects you have already done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're in for a busy year!
    Great idea to open up the space between your living and dining rooms.
    Could that be a load bearing wall?
    Can't wait to get my hands dirty again in the garden.
    Such a cute fur baby! She'll bring you much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks just like our border collie did except for the ears. Our dog had short hair when he was a pup,then his puppy hair fell out and he grew long hair and a magnificent tail. Border collies mixed with other breeds make for smart, highly trainable dogs. Our dog was 3/4 border collie and 1/4 collie and lived to be 18. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I`m glad to hear that the longer fur did eventually grow in, that`s my hope for Izzy! Her poor skin is such a mess thanks to the lice treatment. Thanks for sharing your puppy story!

      Delete
  5. Glad you gave Izzy a forever home. She is just adorable. Having a new puppy is like having a new baby so your time will be limited for DIY! I love your projects for this coming year. I know you will get them done and they will be beautiful. I cannot wait to see you get these under way. Happy New Year.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Izzy is so cute and she was so lucky to find you and vice versa. I love the projects you have planned for the year. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have lots of dreams Anne, and knowing you, they will all be realized! Love your ideas, and the opening of the wall will make your space look even bigger. Looking forward to seeing the changes.

    Izzy ... what a sweetheart!! How lucky that she found a home with you. Did you go looking for a dog, or did you hear about her plight some other way? She really looks like a border collie to me, and very much like my little Aussie when he was a pup (different colours). You're going to have such fun with her!

    Happy New Year Anne!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cutie patootie!!! How are the other fur balls dealing with the newbie??? In time they will all be good friends!! We had a border collie mix with springer spaniel.....beautiful long tail and long hair. she was precious and lived to be 17......and the cats loved her too!!

    Like your ideas for projects....good luck!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and don`t ask!!! Eloise just runs and hides, but Max is determined to get rid of the intruder. 4 days in and things are improving. Thankfully!

      Delete
  9. What a sad start in life for poor Izzy, she is so lucky to have found you! Had you been looking for a dog for a while? You certainly won't have so much time with DIY this year! Maybe Izzy will be helping you out! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute little dog:-) Izzy won my heart:-) She's beautiful and she was lucky that you found her:-)
    I hope all your wishes and redecorating plans will come true this year:-)
    Greetings:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Izzy has certainly been a joy to have around.

      Happy new year!!

      Delete
  11. Anne, I'm so happy you adopted her! We adopted our sweet Belle and she's such a love. If your projects don't all get finished, it will be worth the wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! She's so adorable Anne!! Such a sad story about how she started out her life. I just don't understand people that can be so cold-hearted. How are the cats getting along with her so far?

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, I love her!!! How sweet and adorable she is, so glad you are giving a safe home to grow up in!
    Love your projects that you have planned especially the outside ones!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have some very impressive projects planned, I applaud you, it will be fun to follow you along this adventure. Meanwhile, Lizzy what an adorable addition to you home and what a wonderful companion and friend she will be. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sweet pup is absolutely ADORABLE what a cute face, oh my goodness!

    I am so glad you two found one another - you SAVED her, Anne.

    Love your goals for 2016. It will be awesome seeing it happen for ya. Yay.

    Loveyour idea about widening the opening and swapping the spaces - that's brilliant.

    Hugs and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love Izzy!!!....You are so kind to adopt her!..She looks so very sweet...Can't wait to hear the stories about her adventures this year....and how is she getting along with Mr. Max?....I love your projects you have planned for this year...I look forward to them and love the inspiration pics....Happy New Year my friend!!!....

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time, sorry I didn't see this on FB until last night. I'm not on that much, too much to do. Izzy is a doll and her story made me cry. I can't begin to imagine being cruel to innocent little things that just want love. She found the perfect mom!

    You are going to be a busy bee. Enjoy your time with your new baby. Every two hours outside this girl will be trained. Repetition is key. Everyone told me Dachshunds were hard to train. I got up the same time every morning and did the same thing and I have the best pups. I know their times to a tee 5 years later

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Izzy is adorable and I'll bet she's already stolen your heart. She reminds me of our toy collie Shandy who was a total sweetheart.

    Looking forward to following along with you through 2016 to see Izzy grow and your home get some amazing new updates. I've no doubt you will succeed. Here's to a whole new year xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMGosh Anne, Izzy had such a rough start! I am so glad that she found you!! I worked at the Humane Society when I was in High School and I only lasted there for a summer, my heart just couldn't take what so many animals go through...how could anyone do that?!!
    Hopefully her skin will get better with time. I am sure they use some heavy duty stuff to get rid of the bugs.
    Looks like you have quite a few projects for 2016 - I love your inspiration photos and can't wait to see what you do...I know it will be amazing! And I can't wait to see Izzy's adventures too!
    Hugs!! Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your puppy. Please take lots of pictures for us so we can watch her grow. I love your ideas with the opening up of the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and I'm sure Izzy will feature heavily in upcoming posts!

      Delete
  21. Happy New Year my friend and welcome to you new little girl. So sweet. Can't wait to watch you transform you adorable house even more this year! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy you rescued Izzy! She will have a wonderful life with you! Wishing you much laughter and love with her. Excited to see your projects come to fruition! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Happy New Year!! xo

      Delete
  23. Welcome, Izzy. You are a very lucky little gal. I wish you a long and love-filled life. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want to get to know Izzy as well, she looks adorable! The little porch you love, love looks perfect for my future front porch (mine is leaking everywhere!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Izzy's story broke my heart. I am so glad she has such a great home! Love all the inspiration here!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad you got Izzy! What a cutie! I have an Ezzy, which is short for Esmerelda. I hope you are able to get your projects done this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I love your pup's name!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!