4 Tips for Organizing Your Front Entry

With my small house I'm always looking to incorporate more storage and to organize things better.  My tiny front entry has no closet and neither does my mudroom.  Here are some of the ways I organized those spaces and maximized the storage potential. 


1. Closet Organizer

Did you know that a closet organizer can double or triple the storage space of a closet?  And you don't even need a closet to install one!  Finding the right configuration is the key to success.  The best closet organizers are easy to assemble and switch around as your needs or the seasons change.   You can double your hanging space and incorporate shelves or drawers for things that can’t be hung up.  The organizer shown below is a Martha Stewart organizer.  
 
Closet organizers range in price from $50 to $500 depending on finishes and styles.  I installed a Rubbermaid closet organizer in my master bedroom closet because I can change up the configuration easily when I want to.  I've already changed the configuration a couple of times.  It's difficult to figure out how you're going to use it until you're using it all the time!  I can tell you the organizer easily tripled the amount of clothes I could store in that closet. 
 
If you don't have a closet and a true closet organizer is out of your price range, substitute inexpensive tall bookcases (bookcases are always for sale on the online classifieds).  Keep the top shelf in place and add hooks or closet rods instead of the middle shelves. Remember to hang the closet rods flush with the front edge of the bookcase to allow for hangers to be hung without banging the back of the bookcase.


2. Keep it neat

Use baskets or bins on shelves for storing shoes, slippers, gloves & mittens, hats and scarves.  Being greeted by a neat and tidy entry helps to set the tone when you enter the house. You don’t need to feel stressed out by clutter the moment you get home!


3. Use hooks

A hook rack is handy in many ways. Use it for hanging up jackets, organizing scarves, as a key rack, for umbrella storage or a combination of these.



Double up your storage by hanging two hook racks one above the other or hanging two side by side in a narrow hallway.   As an added bonus you’ll never misplace your keys again!
 
4. Entryway Console


Add a console table with drawers to your front entry to give yourself a place to set things on.  Keep it neat by using baskets and bowls to hold change, mail or keys.  Another option is a bench with a storage compartment.  Pick up a second hand piece of furniture and add a conversation piece at the same time. 

No room for a table or bench?  A skinny shelf or ledge will give you a surface for setting down keys, spare change or mail and at a fraction of the cost!  In my mudroom I added a baker's rack I bought for $25 and a wainscot with a ledge.  A few hooks on the wall allow me to hang up a jacket or two as well.


Never underestimate the potential of small spaces, a few simple tricks can make all the difference!

 

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



18 comments:

  1. Great post Anne! I installed a closet system in my bedroom closet and it really helped. I just love your front entry!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. Thanks. Am looking into a closet system for my bedroom closet. They look like they would provide so much more space.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have so little space in our entry for storage. Our solution is a small wire rack I found discounted at Anthropologie ages ago. It holds our keys, Lulu's paraphernalia and outgoing mail. Our jackets go on hooks on the bedroom door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post, Anne, with such good examples from your home. I have closet organizers in my small closets, and they increased the space probably by three like you said, but they are probably too small to photograph. There is not even one light in the closets. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you so organize your spaces and get use of the space to its full potential...Great tips Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done a great job finding storage solutions for your spaces without closets. I like how you added a mirror to the hanging closet organizer and that little blue stool is so cute. Hope you are well and that your New Year is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried those closet organizers, yet, but I like your idea that they aren't just for closets. Your use of wall hooks in some of your other rooms have inspired me now for a while. I"m made a list of all the areas in our house where I'm going to put some up like yours, LOL. Great ways to create more space, Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loads of great entryway organizing tips in here Anne. I love the Rubbermaid closet system for the same reasons you mentioned, and like you, I've reconfigured ours numerous times. Worth every $$$ in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loads of great entryway organizing tips in here Anne. I love the Rubbermaid closet system for the same reasons you mentioned, and like you, I've reconfigured ours numerous times. Worth every $$$ in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anne,
    So many great tips! I love how your entryway looks!! I love the hooks that you put on the bead board wallpaper - that's a great use of space and hanging the candle lantern off of them looks so pretty!
    Hope you are having a wonderful week!! Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well organized, indeed, and super charming to boot! Nice post, Anne. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you've really maximized all your potential storage space! Your entry looks great and is so functional :-) I miss having a closet by the door - in our rental house, we have to go in and out through the back door, which opens directly into the dining room. It's always so cluttered an cramped and we're always dumping stuff on the table. Unfortunately there's no room for an organizer or console table - the best I can do is a few hooks on the walls and a basket to hold mitts & hats. Oh, and we have a shoe rack, but the dogs keep knocking the shoes off of it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are great tips! My entryway is actually in my living-room and I want to reorganise it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great ideas for organizing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anne, just got your blog today and I love your organizing ideas! Organization is my goal for 2016. I'm even going through my plastic containers and "re-sorting", finding more things to donate to our local thrift store. Now, if I could only come up with an idea for sorting through this mound of papers that we have. It's all "important" stuff that we've printed off to save, but I don't know an effective way to store the stuff I need to keep. Hope you're staying warm. We got 18 inches of snow here in these mountains. Yikes! Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev! I shudder to think of the work ahead of me in my home office. Hopefully I'll be inspired to start it soon!

      enjoy your snow - we got 15 inches here over the past week. UGH. When is spring again???

      Delete
  16. Great tips Anne! Love your space, I could live there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!