My New Puppy - Early Training & Meeting the Cats

Have you discovered my biggest 2016 project?  Two weeks ago today, this little darling came home with me.


So she went from looking like this two weeks ago:

to looking like this yesterday:

 
Guess that food I bought is working out for her!  

Izzy was 13 weeks old when I brought her home.  I let her settle in for a couple of days using my mudroom and a makeshift partition I built out of bi-fold doors to keep her segregated from the cats.  They were exceptionally unhappy at the new addition - horrified would be another way of expressing it.  My older cat, having grown up with dogs, took to hiding to keep out of sight.  Max, being Max, set out immediately to destroy the enemy.

He leapt through the kitchen pass-thru window and lunged for the puppy.  I intercepted and wound up in Emergency with a puncture wound that was infected.  This was not the good start I was hoping for.  I had clipped Max's front claws but neglected to do the back and those are the ones that got me!
I have a big plastic crate to use for housebreaking pups.  Given Max's behaviour, I chose to install the crate in my bedroom so I could keep Max away from Izzy and make it easier for late night demands.  It worked out beautifully.  Whenever Izzy was first put in, she fussed and yelped.  I know that a mother dog would growl at the puppies to get them to settle down, so I began growling at her.  She settled down immediately.

Keeping Izzy away from the cats was easy with the mudroom being closed off.  The cats avoided her for the first 2 days and then this began to happen.



No hissing and spitting going on unless Izzy came up to the door and playfully patted at the windows with her paws.  I ignored Max's behaviour hoping it would calm down over time.  Izzy was in no danger of being harmed.

I began teaching her to sit (the easiest command to teach a dog).  All I had to do was stand in the mudroom with a treat, call her to me and say sit while holding my hand up palm toward me.  The dog follows your hand movement and sits automatically so she can see your face (and that delicious treat you're holding!).  After two days practicing a couple of minutes at a time several times a day, she had it down pat.  Then the shake a paw command came next - another easy one since puppies are always pawing at things.  

I would give her the sit command and then hold out my left hand to accept her paw.  20 seconds and she had that one too.

By the end of week one, Max was pushing his way into the mudroom through the bi-folds.  I'm not sure if he was missing me, wanting to see the pup up close or just lording it over everyone, but this was how the rest of week two went


Now Izzy is trying to meet Max but he is very stand-offish still.  In the evening, once Izzy has run off most of her pent-up energy, she is allowed into the living room on a leash.  This keeps her at a distance from the cats while they get used to her invading their space.

Let's hope this business passes over quickly.  Meanwhile Izzy is learning the "down" command which consists of getting her to sit and then holding my hand with a treat hidden in it between her front paws and saying "down".  It took a few tries but she's getting it now.  She's so smart!!


Has anybody else adopted a puppy this year?  Share your story in the comments!

Thanks for reading!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!




Instagram


31 comments:

  1. awwww Anne this post just makes me giggle and warms my heart!!!!! I thought the story of Max destroying the enemy was hilarious until you got hurt...ouch!!! What a lucky puppy to have found a new home with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they'll all be great friends, and I think you're so smart to introduce them slowly. Sounds like your clever puppy has a great trainer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Puppies are indeed a fair bit of work and by the sounds of it a lot of work when you have cats to introduce. But their unconditional love is so worth it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going on this journey with you is such a treat. Izzy, is adorable...but so is Max.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, she's so sweet, I love her! She sounds very smart :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Izumi is a cutie! And my first thought was you must have the patience of Job, as I can't see Max being happy with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the state of sheer exhaustion that I'm in makes me more calm than normal. I just don't have the energy to get worked up!! lol

      Delete
  7. Anne you and your fur babies are doing great. Wow Izzy is so smart to be picking up the commands so quickly. She is so adorable. What a wonderful edition for all of you. Max cracks me up as always. He just needs to let Izzy know he is in command!!! I can see them becoming best buds down the road. Enjoy your sweet new baby.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea you could try growling at them to settle them down, that's a great tip. Izzy and your 2 kitties are so luck to have you, and I'm sure it's visa versa for you. I agree that in time, they will probably all be cuddle buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! How cute is your adorable puppy! I had to drag my hubby over to the computer to see her sweet little face. I am sure there is a little jealousy motivating the cat's disdain. And puppies have so much energy. Cats are too dignified for a puppy's antics. The pup will settle in eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! How cute is your adorable puppy! I had to drag my hubby over to the computer to see her sweet little face. I am sure there is a little jealousy motivating the cat's disdain. And puppies have so much energy. Cats are too dignified for a puppy's antics. The pup will settle in eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Izzy is adorable and love the stories about you and the cats settling in together!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will bet within the next month those two are thick as thieves. Then the trouble really begins if Maxx starts giving her pointers. She's precious and you know how I feel about that furball of yours, if only there were no cat allergies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anne,
    I have been loving following along on Facebook as you post updates!
    So, so cute and I am glad that things are progressing at least a little on Max accepting her into 'the pack'!
    Hope you are having an amazing weekend!!
    Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Izzy is the cutest!....I am sure the next photos we will see is Mad Max sleeping right next to her!!...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like y'all are doing great. She's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your puppy is so cute! My new pet days are behind me but I love pictures..I am not ancient just saturated with 2 cats and 2 large dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Wendy! I remember the days of having 2 of each all too well... It's so nice when they're grown up!!! (remind me of this next year when I'm wishing for the puppy days again...)

      Delete
  17. Hi Anne, are you in Kimberley? We just adopted Izzy's sister Fern over the weekend :) Her new name is Freyja. We are in Cranbrook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy! Yes I'm in Kimberley, how fabulous that you adopted Freyja! These two pups are so much alike I know you'll love her to death.

      It would be cute to get them together some time. Enjoy your new puppy! xo

      Delete
  18. Can you tell I'm whispering? Don't want Max to hear. He is one beautiful cat and what is frightening is he is likely not full grown yet. Gorgeous markings and the ruff - Wow! Really like the puppy. We've never owned a dog just cats. Dogs need training and I don't have the patience. I'm still trainable so the cats and I work out just fine. :-) When I saw your first post about Izzy all I could think of is, "What are the cats going to think - especially Max?" Not too bad so far.
    Have fun.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I am more a dog person than a cat person but I can definitely appreciate the cats a bit more now that I'm reminded of the puppy to adolescent stage of the dog!!!!!! (Although Max was quite a handful for the first 2 years.)

      Delete
  19. Oh what a sweet little puppy. I had to say goodbye to my little dog a week ago. He was 15 years old. My husband and I rescued him 5 years ago from a shelter. He was well trained when we adopted him but we spoiled him out of some of that training, I miss him terribly. Hope you keep us updated on the progress of his growth. Thanks for sharing this little guy with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Izzy is so adorable and wow, she has grown a lot in just two weeks! Love the picture of the two of them staring each other down on opposite sides of the glass door - too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute! Border collie? She's a smart little girl. Cute name, too. I think this could be a very good thing for Max. Maybe settle him down a bit. I'm sorry you were hurt. Ouch! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Izzy is adorable and I hope that everyone gets along. We have never had luck with cats liking our dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Izzy has grown already and she does sound so smart learning things so quickly! I liked the pictures of Izzy and Max looking at each other.I'm sure that once they are used to each other, they will be great friends. Twinkle has taken to chasing Tavi around the house it is quite amusing to watch as it is usually dogs that do the chasing! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is really smart! Our outdoor rescue cats and our indoor rescue cats love our toy poodles, maybe because they are bigger than they are. We added Madeline, but she is not a rescue. However, we added another kitty. A ten year indoor rescue that had been declawed and abandoned by someone after its owner died. He is a flame pointe Siamese mix. He is not coming out much yet, but it has not be quite a week. Anya our other indoor rescue has wonderful social skills. She gave him space and didn't hiss. He hissed at her at least twice, but now they nose kiss, so they will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a cutie-I remember how hard a puppy was! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!