How to Install a Door Closer on a Storm Door

Remember last year when I installed a new front door and an old-style wood storm door? Well during a wind storm this past month, the wind whipped the storm door out of my hand and smashed it into the light on my front porch.

I've since replaced the lights (of course both had to be replaced because my current light is discontinued) and added a door closer on the storm door to  make  sure this doesn't happen again.

I ordered the parts from a website called D. Lawless Hardware .  This really is an awesome online hardware site.  The prices are fantastic!  Although since they are a sponsor, I didn't have to pay for the parts.

This was actually a pretty simple DIY, here's the tutorial:



Here's  my gorgeous new front entry:


Here's the part, you can find it online HERE


You'll need a drill with a 3/16 drill bit and a screwdriver bit.

The triangular shaped part needs to be installed on the hinge side of the door jamb 1/4" away from the surface of the storm door with the angled edge toward the storm door.  I used a pencil to mark the 1/4" measurement and then I held the part up against the door jamb to mark the screw holes to be drilled.  Drill your holes and then install the part.  I usually drill one hole, screw the part in loosely and then drill through the part for the remaining holes. But that's just me.


Once you have that in place, take the door closer and slip on the clip for holding the door open (the bent over side should be facing  the tube of the door closer).


Place the longer, skinnier end into the slot of the triangular part and slip in the shorter of the two pins. (ps the photo below shows the wrong pin, use the shorter of the two pins provided!)


The last piece to install is the door bracket.  Attach the door bracket to the tube section using the longer pin and hold the bracket portion up to the door.  Mark your screw holes with the pencil.  Drill the pilot holes and then attach the bracket to the door with the shorter screws provided in the package.






Once the assembly has been installed, use the screw on the outer edge of the tube to adjust how hard the door closes.



DONE!!!

Wasn't that easy?  I'll be installing a storm chain next week.



Sometimes these jobs are so easy I can't believe I was ever intimidated by them AT.ALL.

Cheers!



Disclaimer:  Although I have partnered with D. Lawless Hardware to demonstrate their products, the opinions shared here are 100% my own. 


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Follow on Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. I am glad that you weren't hurt when the door broke the light.

    You never cease to amaze me with your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the right fix and solution and carry out the task so well.....and I have to say that I love the pics of the foyer...the color is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that storm door (and want one like it - Inspired once again!) I think many people overlook the need for one of these door closers, but the proof is in the puddin' here. Great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blue! People tend to have security doors around here, but not storm doors, because the weather is mild or hot. I don't have a security door, so I don't know how they close, but would probably be a good device in a windy monsoon storm. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm full of admiration here! I wish I had the least inclination to install a project like this! Haha! But you have done a marvelous job with your entry way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm full of admiration here! I wish I had the least inclination to install a project like this! Haha! But you have done a marvelous job with your entry way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad no one was hurt and that your storm door wasn't glass.
    Like this easy fix and your entry way is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your entry does look lovely and the entry door and storm door are a beautiful colour! It must be nice to have that clear view out the storm door window. Thanks once again for your visit and your kind words on my desk makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had something like that on my gate... That was destriyed when it smashed against the wall during a storm a few weeks ago... Now I need a new gate. I love the colour of your front door and of your storm door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just so you know, this may NOT be the full answer to this problem. I rent and have these on BOTH of my doors and the wind of New Mexico will STILL take the doors and slam them against the walls no matter how careful you are! The wind is so strong at times it takes that little latch right out of my hand and BENDS the arm on the door closer! This has happened several times with BOTH doors! My friend put better handles on both doors above the current latch to try and help but if you have your hands full of groceries or other things, that wind can take that door away from you before you even realize what has happened! The chain at the top rips out of the wood as well. The landlord has repaired them both but tells me they may charge me for the damage to the doors but made the mistake of admitting they were like that from the previous tenant! So be aware! This is a good idea but not always the pure solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes - that is a strong wind! Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  11. I've also had wind destroy one of those door closers and warp the heck out a heavy metal storm door. But that's a rare occurrence, so your new door closer will certainly help with milder, more normal windy days. Good job. I installed mine myself too - believe me, one of the easier DIY thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I don't think we get winds that strong around here, but I can certainly appreciate the strength of the wind in other locations!

      Delete
  12. I love that door, Anne. Good idea to add the closer and nice job executing the fix. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have one of these closers on our front door, but hubby installed it at the top and I can never reach it! This is so much better Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!