Installing a Wind Chain on a Garden Door


Why do garden doors open outward???  I'm really not a fan but I'm not in a position to change the door out, so I decided to install a wind chain to keep the door from banging into the side of the house whenever I want to let some fresh air into the bedroom.

My challenge?  This is a metal door so I need to learn how to work with metal to do this.

My bonus?  D Lawless Hardware supplied the wind chain!

Here is what I installed:







Click on the image to see the details.



I installed it on the garden door in the master bedroom.  This room faces full west and is stiflingly hot by the end of the day, so I like to open all the windows and the door to let the air circulate.  The wind chain will help to stop the door from swinging out too far if a breeze comes up.




I needed a special drill bit to allow me to drill into the metal door.  I chose a cobalt bit.



Then I got to work measuring the door frame for positioning the chain.  The bracket on the door frame/jamb needs to be installed mid-way across the door - 18" from the hinge side of the door.  And the bracket needs to be on a 45 degree angle.


The hinge side of the door is on the right side of the above photo.

Then I installed the smaller bracket on the door itself, 19" out from the hinge side of the door frame and 1" down from the top of the door.  I marked the screw holes and drilled with my cobalt drill bit before installing the screws.



The last link of the chain is positioned into the slot on the door bracket and the peg is dropped in from the top, sliding through the link on the chain and securing it in place.  Then it's time to position the nail and spring to hold up the chain so it isn't dangling down the center of the door.


I don't like nailing things above my head, so I usually use a thin drill bit to create a hole and then I nail into that hole.  With the nail in place, slip one end of the spring into a link of the wind chain and one end onto the nail head.


Done!

It's not the most glamorous project in the world, but it sure does make me happy!

In case you're wondering what Max has been up to lately, here's a recent photo.

Get rid of the black & white thing
or there's gonna be trouble.
And here is the "black & white thing"


Happy as a lark!  lol



Disclaimer:  Although I received free product from D Lawless Hardware, the opinions stated are 100% my own.


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!

  • Follow on Bloglovin

19 comments:

  1. I love little projects that make such a nice difference. Nothing better than fresh air throughout your house. The pup is growing fast, and I love the look on Max's face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gayle! Max is hilarious but Izzy is pretty hard on him (unintentionally, of course!)

      Delete
  2. I never really realized garden doors swung out! Your doggie is really getting big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Anne, figuring that out and now your door is much more functional without it banging on the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, it will be a nice change!

      Delete
  4. i don't have th\at problem with our back door but was very taken by your blue chair. That would look good in our bedroom too. It is always lovely to see Max and Izzy. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you found a solution for your door. D. Lawless Hardware always seems to be able to solve any hardware dilemmas or being able to beautify your home through gorgeous hardware for your cabinetry....Our outside doors always opened out when we lived in Florida....a code thing for hurricanes...I love your door Anne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will come in handy because I just took one of these off my front screen door and when I get ready to put it back on I'm not sure I'll remember how!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha Max!!!! Izzy is growing so fast. I like this idea of the wind chain. Very clever.
    Have a great week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so handy!

    I love Max's attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doors and windows open to the inside in France, which is not always convenient either. But I had a door opening outside in a previous apartment and I also had a system so it didn't bang the wall... It was an old window and I was afraid the glass would break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fact that you have a door to the outside from your bedroom is such a nice feature, and it's probably better that it swings out so it doesn't effect the layout of your room. You've gotta love that D Lawless had a solution for your out swinging door. Now you can enjoy as the warmer season approaches. Great tutorial for anyone who needs to attach one of these door chain latches! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we need one of these. Thanks for sharing. "Hi Max"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the garden doors in your room. Lots of light must come in for sure! I tell you, someone somewhere must give you at least a guest spot on a HGTV episode or something. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always amaze me with your diy skills Anne - great idea for your very nice garden door. Max's photo is hilarious and Izzy appears to not give a $...well you get the picture. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anne, omg yer lil pup sure has grown and he looks soooo happy. I take it him and Max made friends? LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea for your garden door, especially if it stops the banging!
    I love that you have that door in your bedroom!
    And wow, is Izzy ever big now! Cute photos of Izzy and Max! :)
    Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL, you have a lively home, as well as a pretty one. Max and Izzy really do keep your life busy and fun, don't they? Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Anne, I've just found your site via Nancy at A Joyful Cottage. Your home looks lovely. Max is handsome and your pup is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!