Extend the Life of Your Deck for Free!

This is a project that worked out even better than I thought it would!  I gave myself a brand new deck surface for free.

How did I do it?  Well, it took a lot of elbow grease but I took my ugly, flaked, checked and cracked deck boards and flipped them all over to give myself a new surface.  With a bit of cleaning and sanding, the deck surface looks so amazing I wish I had done this the year I  moved in!



Using a pry bar, hammer and crowbar I pulled all the nails out of the deck boards.  The underside of the boards was a bit dirty and in some cases, not a smooth surface.  Sanding the boards cleaned them up and smoothed them out while still leaving a rustic aged look.  I reused all the nails - any that were bent, I straightened using my hammer.  Easy peasy - well, sort of.  The point was to get a new deck surface for as little money as possible.  Free was better still!







My deck looks so perfect now!  I haven't done much with the railing since it will be replaced with a bench style railing next year.  For this year, I have a brand new deck floor and I am thrilled.  I'm looking into different products for sealing the surface so that it doesn't get totally beat by the sun, rain and snow and lasts a lot longer as a result.  If anyone has had success with a deck sealer, let me know!

This is how the deck looked 6 years ago when I first moved in.  I never did like how the blue grey of the deck stain clashed with the beige grey of the siding.  It looks much better how with the natural wood tone that fits in beautifully with the siding colour.  If you look closely you can see how beat the boards were even then!





Have a happy weekend!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



Instagram


18 comments:

  1. That seems like such a lot of work! I'm going to clean mine with a deck wash and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the simple ideas are the best ones. Smart thinking Anne. I wish we could do something similar, but our deck boards are past help and are too rotten to flip. I am just hoping they can hold up one more summer as we already have a lot of projects to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever of you ... a great way to save money. I did that with a weathered desk top and the flip side was beautiful. You just keep us inspired.
    Thanks,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great idea, you are really genius. Greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! What a nice thing to say. Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  5. My daughter just did this to her deck. Wonderful idea, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just confirmed what I've really thought all along...you are the smartest woman I know.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a lot of work but well worth it! Looks amazing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! I have a huge deck ~ but I may have to try this!! Looks great and what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The natural wood does look amazing, it must have been hard work. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...it looks great and you are the clever one!!! ... Must have been a bit of a back breaking project! Great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be a monster job to tackle. I don't think these old bones could take it, but you're young and strong. It looks great, Anne. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must have been a huge job, but you can be proud of yourself. The result is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fresh new look, the fact that it cost you nothing and that you salvaged all that gorgeous wood!! Don't know what the best top coats are but I'll be on the look out and give you a holler if I see something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must be decades younger than I. Not enough muscle in my whole neighborhood to spend turning decking! Ive had rotten luck with all the deck treatments I've tried. Where my benches around the edge shade the deck, it grows green stuff on top of the boards, and when i clean the top of the boards the sides are green and too close together to actually scrub clean. Am rethinking this whole deck thing. Need to move to a drier climate. Guess it's kinda depressing seeing pictures of your nice deck while mine is such a pitiful mess......sigh......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, don't be depressed!! There must be a solution out there somewhere. I actually prefer concrete patios to decks - much easier to maintain.

      Thanks for your sweet comment, hope you're able to sort out your deck issues soon.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!