How to Make a Latte Without Special Equipment

For my next miracle, I will amaze you with my non-existent cooking skills.

I do  not like to cook or to be in the kitchen, when God was handing out cooking skills I wasn't around.  This is not to say that I don't know how to cook, I've learned a lot over the years and I am quite a good cook when I put my mind to it.  But all that is just a bit of background information to illustrate how ridiculously easy this latte process is.

I adore Chai tea lattes and when I discovered I could make these at home without a milk steamer I was in heaven.  And it's so easy!  (I am sure most of you know how to do this already, but for those who don't I'm thrilled to share.)



Here is my arsenal of Chai tea latte tools:



To make my Chai tea latte, I start by making the Chai tea and only Tazo brand will do for me. I am a tea snob!  Any self-respecting Brit will tell you to use fresh cold water in the kettle and to heat the teapot before adding the tea and hot water. (My mom is British, btw.) This helps the tea to steep properly and the full flavour develops best this way.  Never use a metal pot, only pottery or china pots.  Metal gives the tea a different taste.  Steep the tea for at least 3 minutes.  Once the tea is steeping, get going on the steamed milk.

I use a half cup of milk and an enameled cast iron pot (Le Creuset).  I don't know if that makes a difference but it works so beautifully I wanted to point it out.  Use medium heat and watch until the milk begins to steam.  The moment you see steam, use a whisk and whisk up the milk while it is still on the heat.  This gives the milk a really nice froth.  Set aside while you pour your tea.

Pour the tea into a large cup, add sugar if you like and then add the frothy milk.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!

Mmmmmmmmmmm  Wish you were here to share!



A friend of mine who is a superb photographer has been taking photos of peonies, in teacups, in ice cream cones and other interesting ideas.  She so inspired me that I cut my first peony bloom of the year and plopped it in a pretty teacup.  Max, of course, had to hone in on the action as well.






Have a happy week!


15 comments:

  1. My husband gave me an immersion blender for Christmas just so I could make lattes at home. It's been one of the best gifts ever. I don't like chai so I make vanilla with coffee.

    My method: Brew the coffee & while it's brewing prepare the milk. Pour 1/2 cup cold milk into large round mug. Whip with an immersion blender for 30 seconds (or use a whisk by holding the handle between your hands & rubbing them together...my old method before the blender). It doesn't look like much has happened but wait! Next place the cold whipped milk in the microwave & heat for one minute. Be sure you use a deep mug because this is when the milk froths. As it heats it grows & will run over the top if your mug is too small. Add coffee, filling the mug to the top & coffee syrup to taste (I use 3 tsps.) Enjoy!

    If I wanted an iced coffee I just make a latte & pour it over ice. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I love the photo of Max with his nose in the peony. Beautiful! Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a tea or coffee drinker, but I'll pass this tip on to my daughter.

    I love the "Max and the Peony" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty photo with Max. I am like you in that I really don't enjoy cooking at all. I have never had a Chai Tea Latte, so you can make me one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I've been working part time at the antique mall where I have my booths and I've been learning to make coffees (latte, mocha, and espressos). I was actually surprised ad how much of a process it actually is!

    Max is so cute!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this inexpensive frother and love it.

    http://www.directshoppingcenter.com/Glass-Froth-Master-p/np-89.htm?gclid=CO6vsr_498wCFQmSaQodgrUDVg&utm_source=Base&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=main

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable photo of the Maxter & the penny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great picture of Max smelling te beautiful flower! Great tip on making latte too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm feeling like your soul sista today. I just cut my first fresh peony today, ever! We've never had them in our yard before. And I have all the fixins to make a hot chai latte already. They're so delicious. I'll have to try your steaming method because I don't have a steamer either ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea Anne!....I love lattes and frothy drinks, so my hubby one year bought me a frother which I use often....your first peony bloom is gorgeous!....and of course Max approves too! I may have to put my hydrangea in a cup!....have a great week Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great suggestion for the tea. Would work for either tea or coffee. Max is so cute sniffing the flower - great photo. By the way, didn't you have another cat when you got Max? Haven't seen anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a 14 year old female cat named Eloise but she has taken to hiding in my home office ever since I got the puppy. Hopefully one day soon Izzy will leave the cats alone so that she feels happier being in the living room with us. :)

      Delete
  12. In my college days I used to work in a vegetarian restaurant where there was always a pot of chai tea sitting on the stove. I loved the smell of it, but for some reason I never tried it ( I didn't even drink coffee back then). You have inspired me to make some chai and finally give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm going to try to make this work with almond milk!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!