Laundry Room Refresh and Keeping the Dog out of the Kitty Litter



Last year I reworked my laundry room for what I thought was the last time... then Izzy came along and suddenly I needed to make some changes. Izzy will NOT LEAVE THE LITTER BOX ALONE!

I also needed to finish painting the laundry since I had done the job in dribs and drabs as I renovated it so moving things around to better suit the dog situation wasn't an issue.  Time to get this laundry done once and for all (yeah, yeah I know, it will never be finished for good).


She's just pretending to be good here.




I had hidden the litter box last year by hanging a shelf over the box and a curtain in front of the shelf.  That worked really well for me and the cats.  It did not keep Izzy out and the poor cats were very upset at having this dog constantly bothering them when they were doing their "business".

The shelf idea worked so well that I wanted to keep that part of the equation.  I also wanted to keep some hanging space and my storage tower since there really isn't much space for storage in the laundry otherwise.


After rethinking the layout, I decided to move the storage tower and hang an Ikea hat rack on the wall to give me hanging space.  With the tower tucked away beside the stacked washer and dryer, I had room on the wall to hang my laundry baskets.  I put the folded up hanging rack on top of the dryer (not my fave idea but keeps it handy and out of the way) and I hung a 16" deep shelf counter to give me crafting space and/or folding space.

The counter is hung on two heavy-duty brackets that are screwed into studs with 3" long #10 screws.  I ran a 1x2 underneath the back edge of the shelf to help support it and I used a 36" piece of 2" doweling as a dry-fit leg at the front center edge of the counter to give it some extra support as this counter 65" long and I don't have a bracket at the midpoint.  I also attached a 1x4 just under the front edge to give the shelf a chunkier look.  First I added a 1x2 using my finish nailer, one inch in from the edge of the plank to give myself a nailing surface for the 1x4.  Then I nailed the 1x4 to the 1x2.  Confused yet?



The kitty litter is tucked in the corner and partially hidden by the shelving tower.  I also was able to bring my tool crate back into the laundry and store it beside the litter box.  This helped to keep the dog out but it still wasn't enough.

At a yard sale, I came across a 32" bamboo roman blind - ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!  Winner!!  I hung the blind on the front of the shelf counter and it works beautifully.  The dog can't get into the litter, the cats get in and out via the top of the tool crate, the blind rolls up easily to allow for the litter to be scooped and everything is happy in the garden again.



My laundry is now painted, freshened up and much brighter with not having the shelf tower blocking the light from the window.


The laundry tub area is unchanged except for a new light fixture.




I set up my recycling at the back door using crates placed in the bottom of a baker's rack.  A few hooks on the wall hold jackets and a dog leash.



Here's a tip for those of you with front load washers.  The manufacturers recommend that you leave the door open between loads but I can't since Max (the cat who acts like a dog) has a taste for chewing up the rubber seal.  I found a small scale bungee cord that I tacked to the screen beside the washer and I opened the bend in the hook to allow it to fit easily over the door handle.  The door is open but not so open that Max can get at the seal!



Yet another project checked off the list.



Have a great week!



23 comments:

  1. Clever and so economical a solution to your problem Anne. It has been awhile since I've seen your laundry room. I'd forgotten how pretty the room is. Love the hanging basket! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you've done to keep your canine out of the feline's litter box. Your laundry room is really sweet.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely job. Thanks for sharing. You offer some good ideas i can (and should ) use.
    No chance on earth I'd keep any space that neat even part of the time!!! But going to adopt some of your ideas. Is the ironing board in the cupboard?
    Well done.....MJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MJ! The ironing board is hung on the back of the bathroom door (the bathroom is right beside the laundry room).

      Delete
  4. Very nice. I especially like how you hid the litter box but they can easily get to it and you can clean it. Why are dogs attracted to litter I will never know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat poop I think... lol! Thank you Debra!

      Delete
  5. Well Anne your animals are definitely running your house! I like the room better this way because you get a lot more light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Anne your animals are definitely running your house! I like the room better this way because you get a lot more light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The things we do for our pets! :-) We actually bought a leather sectional sofa specifically because of the dogs! You laundry room looks great, and you know what they say - Happy Cat, Happy Cat Owner :-) Well, OK, nobody actually says that, I just made it up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always seem to find a beautiful solution to your problems....great solution...yes, you definitely are a Super Hero of DIY/Fix It!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hanging basket.

    You are always doing something wonderful and clever. I have been so lazy, but you have inspired me and maybe I will get out porch painted this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dog eats the cat poop and the cat eats the rubber ring on the washer. I know it's not funny, but I had to laugh. I have an inside cat and dog also but the dog I have now pays no attention to the litter box - not so the dog I had before her. It was a constant battle for 12 years with the previous dog. I can't leave a plastic grocery bag anywhere where the cat can reach it - he doesn't just chew - he actually eats it - then throws up, of course. Somehow we have more patience with our pets than we had with our kids - right???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Pat! Max eats what he chews also. He's already had to have surgery to remove one of the things he ate. Good thing we love our pets!

      Delete
  11. Anne, I just love your bright and airy laundry room with loads of vintage eye candy and well thought out space planning. Such a smart way to keep Izzy (can't believe how much he's grown) out of the liter box. I might steal your idea of hanging the laundry baskets on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are always able to come up with some great solutions to your problems around the house! The pets have set you some challenges this time! We can leave shoes lying around without them being chewed!Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great way to keep Izzy out of the box while the cats can still go in. Your laundry room is such a bright room, it must be nearly nice to do that chore!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great solution to a very annoying problem. We had a cat poop eating dog years ago. Ick. I love how bright and cheery your laundry space is. You've done a great job on every area of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Izzy and Max foiled once more! Well done, my friend! I love the new look of your laundry room, and I bet you are really enjoying this well-organized, functional and beautiful space. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. The room looks great. Love how you have hid the litter tray. The cat poop is full of protein that's why dogs love it. Thankfully my furbaby has outgrown that delightful habit. It used to be an Olympic sprint in here to scoop before his lordship got there. Also there's a type of fish oil used in plastic bags that cats love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine! and thank you for explaining the mysteries of platic bags and poop attractions. :)

      Delete
  17. I bet you love how it lets in so much more light. It looks great, Anne, and the fact that it functions better in so many ways is a total win, win!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!