The $8 Rustic Bench Project


Here's a simple project that you can knock off in less than half an hour!

All it took to build this rustic bench is one 2x6x10, half a 2x4x8 and a handful of  2 1/2" screws. It now sits proudly on my new front porch!

I've broken this project down into simple to follow images.

Here's how to build it -






CUT LIST:


I added a 21" crosspiece for extra stability which isn't shown in the photo above.  I just used a scrap piece of wood.  If you have to buy a 2x4 for this project, a piece of it can be used for the crosspiece.

Lay 2 of the 16" leg pieces on the floor and screw one of the 11" pieces across one end.  Be sure it lines up perfectly with the edge of the 16" pieces.


Repeat process.   Note how the legs stand up by themselves thanks to the chunky wood.


Stand your legs up and lay your 28" seat pieces across the top.  Measure 2" in on on all 4 sides and mark the measurement clearly.


Attach the seat pieces to the leg pieces using 2 1/2" screws or nails making sure the edge of the leg pieces are aligned with the marks you made.


If you want extra stability, add another 21" crosspiece 4" up from the bottom of the legs.  Be sure the crosspiece can be attached to both "foot" pieces on either side.  Use a level to make sure everything is placed correctly and screw/nail the crosspiece in place.


Pretty simple, huh?  And if you don't have a way to cut the wood yourself, get the building supply store to cut the wood down to size for you.



A lick 'o paint and she's good to go!


Enjoy!

and if you want to see the post where I created this sign, click   HERE



34 comments:

  1. Looks great, Anne! That basic type of bench goes back hundreds (thousands?) of years and still is in style today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great instructions, Anne. Maybe just maybe one of these days I will make one of these. I'm just such a cltutz with wood working. In the meantime, I'm admiring yours with the pretty blue paint!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute project and I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great project, Anne. I was just thinking the other day when I wanted a bench for my bedroom, that you just can't have too many of them. They're so handy! Yours is cute and looks like it will stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne,

    You know you totally amaze me at what you can do. And make it looks so easy, too - you are such an inspiration! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever . . . creative . . . crafty . . . LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that bench and you are the ultimate DIY'er!!!...great job Anne....have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an awesome job on the bench, Anne! Thanks for sharing this idea and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! and you're welcome!!!

      Delete
  9. Wow!... I love your rustic bench Anne!... the color is especially pretty!... wishing you a blissful Autumn day, xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! I like to build things too and you have given me a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always impressed by your skills. And I love the colour you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anne. I am always so excited to see you use your wonderful talented skills and what beauties you come up with. This bench is so pretty. Ok I love love love that sign on the bench. That needs to come to my house. Did you make that it is so fantastic. Seriously I love it. Have a great Sunday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how your bench turned out! You go, girl! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great! I could even see this being used as a coffee table in a little cottage living room. Thanks for sharing this, Anne. xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute, simple, and thrifty- the perfect combo Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute litte thing! What a clever project! Thank's for sharing!
    Would be fun to make it!
    Have a wonderful time
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisabeth! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  17. What a great tutorial Anne! Your bench is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it, Anne! The price, the color the style, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I am so impressed, I will definitely be making one for my porch too. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very clearly explained and your front porch looks so welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great little bench and with easily understood instructions.

    You are an inspiration ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are really great!!!! I love your DIY❕ I want the same one;) and I'll do it❕❕❕ when the rain stops;) greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! and have fun building your new bench!

      Delete
  23. You ARE "Wonder Woman" ... leaping tall buildings with a single bound, and whipping up an adorable bench in less than 30 minutes. The bench and cute and amazing...just like you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anne,

    I love easy projects, and you KNOW I love a great bench!I love the color. Pinned!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a thing for rustic benches. Yours is great. I love the color, too. And your flowers looks amazing. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. You make this look so simple! I need to go make over the benches I made last year with this tutorial. Maybe they won't be crooked next time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE the bench....great tutorial! I need to make some of these for my yard now.
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love, love this project. Thank you for the tutorial! Take care. Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! and thank you for visiting, too!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!