Cottage Style Home Office

Welcome to my new cottage style, light and bright home office! I did some major purging of this space and I'm so glad I did. I have half the clutter I used to have and even that doesn't feel as oppressive as it used to feel.  And remember how I left that wardrobe?  When one of my readers mentioned the fact that it was such a contemporary piece I realized I had been taking the wrong approach to the makeover.  Now I love it!



From the beginning this office was a catch-all for anything I didn't know what to do with but was reluctant to part with.  Well, no more!  The only things I kept that I don't have an immediate use for were my paints and some canvases that I've painted but don't have a place to hang.  Everything else got turfed.

This is how the office looked 2 years ago


Nothing wrong with it but it isn't decorated in the cottage style that I've now adopted for my decor.  And now it looks so much lighter with the new paint on the walls (an almost fiasco!) and the new writing desk and furniture painted in off-white.


I had to keep this huge chair since I'm not sure what to do with it yet.  Izzy ate the edge of one of the arms and it now kinda looks like a Frankenstein style repair job.  The louvered doors behind the chair are to keep Max from chewing the wires to my modem and fibreoptic cables.  Everything in this space is designed with his love of chewing wires in mind...


I have actually sat more in this chair this week than I did in the whole last 8 months that it sat in the living room.  Placing it in this room may have been a good choice!

And the wardrobe?  So much better in its new shades of cream and sand with simple knobs instead of the antique look ones I had before.


The panels are wallpapered with Graham and Brown's textured bead board wallpaper.  I love that stuff!  Unfortunately a paper-shredding incident occurred with the brick textured wallpaper (Izzy and Max) and so it will not be installed after all...  this was my mood board for this room:


The striped fabric and the blue paint never had a chance and the poor wallpaper was defenseless against my pets.  If you are looking for beautiful wallpaper, do check out Graham and Brown.  They have so many gorgeous choices and a calculator to help you figure out how much you need so that you can be sure to get it all in the same dye lot.  And they sell decor items as well!  

I had to take all the shelves down and I decided I no longer wanted to have quite so many shelves and things hanging off the walls.  I rehung the ones over the laptop desk but spaced them differently.

                          BEFORE                                                        AFTER


This allows me a lot more options for placing items and spacing things a little better.  I also can display my entire collection of Agatha Christie mysteries, something that has been sitting in a box for the last 6 years...

Then I chose to makeover the filing cabinet (shown in the before shot above) and use it for the desktop and printer instead of the shelf desk I had created last year.  Thanks to D Lawless Hardware who kindly provided me with a set of swivel casters I was able to make over the filing cabinet which is actually a set of drawers from the old desk I had, into a printer stand.  Details coming in another post.

             BEFORE                                                                 AFTER 
I never use the desktop anymore anyway, so there was little point in having a whole section of a wall devoted to it.

The wall paint choice was almost a disaster.  When I began repainting the wardrobe, I used the wall paint on the wallpaper sections and discovered the store had not mixed the colour I chose.  Since I always have a ton of white paint on hand, I took out two cups of the wall paint and added two cups of the white, mixed the heck out of it and it turned out beautifully.  It is a light greige shade instead of the yellowy based colour they mixed for me.  Whew, am I glad I chose to try it out on the wardrobe first!

Thanks for popping in to check out my office makeover.  This house is rapidly reaching its finished stage!  


Have a great week!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!


Follow on Bloglovin

28 comments:

  1. Hi Anne --
    So bright and beautiful. Love your changes!
    Enjoy your new space,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference a little paint and fabric made. I love the blue colours. I hear that's going to be a popular colour for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Anne. My heart smiled when you mentioned Agatha Christie. Who is your fave character?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Anne. My heart smiled when you mentioned Agatha Christie. Who is your fave character?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful Anne! It's too bad that the brick wallpaper got shredded... darn pets... if they only knew how much they try our patience sometimes!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Displaying books. I love it, and Agatha Christie's no less. The whole is room is so much brighter now. I think you nailed it on that wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job Anne ... love the brighter, cottage style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore how you've given your office a cottagey makeover. Everything looks so bright and fresh...a wonderful place to work. Loving the wardrobe too.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. You said you've nearly reached the end of your renovations. Whatever will you do when you finish??? I love your little cottage home. I have a small home (and a small budget)also and can so relate to most of the things you do. I also have a dog and a cat in the house and while I love them both, the damage and the cleanliness factor are many times frustrating. ONce you finish your renovatgion, I guess you'll just have to start over and redo every room. Somehow I don't think you'll be satisfied for long. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment Pat! I'm sure you're right as I change my mind almost as fast as the seasons change...

      Pets are a challenge but the rewards are greater I think. At least I keep telling myself that! xo

      Delete
  10. Love, Love, Love it. Inspired me to paint my little pine desk I have had for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another winner! You amaze me!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wardrobe looks fantastic and the change in curtains has made such a difference. Another great transformation! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charming, charming, charming. Love the curtain fabric. Really lends a cottage feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley! Those curtains were such a bargain too, only $14 at Ikea!

      Delete
  14. Anne, this is so fresh. Love all your touches. The cabinet turned out great.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your office looks great Anne - love the curtains too! As you probably remember, I was one of the naysayers of getting rid of the blue paint color on the wardrobe but seeing it now - the makeover fits the space beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the changes! The space looks so pretty ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love the office makeover....so very light and bright and filled with great improvements and innovations that is so you!....Love the caster idea...and had to chuckle on why you placed the louvered doors behind the chair...oh that Max!...Great job as usual Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new office looks wonderful, cosy and bright at the same time... I'd almost feel like working all day long there if i were you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sitting in my office right now and wish so much I could transform it. It bugs me all the time but we have no other place for this sofabed that is in here so I guess it stays til I can convince my hubby to get rid of it. Your office looks terrific. I laughed about the shutters and Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pinky! We all have those clunky pieces with no place to go but the office, lol!!

      Delete
  20. Looks great, I love the shelves (I'm currently going through a "shelf fetish" thing. The whole room looks so much more "you"!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So lovely! I really like the chair there, and I can see how you've used it more in this room. You're so right about not taking up an entire wall with a desk! Enjoy your new awesome space! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'm very happy with it!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!