House Tour 2016 - Cottage Bungalow

I have made my little fixer-upper house into my perfect home!

When I bought this house, I was in a rough patch of my life. The house needed a lot of work, it was not what I wanted to live in but it was in my price range and in a great location. Six years later, this house has become my dream home. It is a very cozy and happy place for me and my pets. There is still a bit of tweaking to do - but isn't that always the case when you own a home??

It just goes to show that you can have your dreams come true, all you have to do is believe in yourself and it happens!

Enjoy the tour!


I had this front landing and deck built a couple of summers ago.  I spent this summer finishing up the landscaping in the front yard so that next year I get to do planters instead of digging up sod for new gardens.



It will be nice when the plants and shrubs fill in a bit more.  

My front entry has been insulated and painted in my fave cream and turquoise. I have a new front door with an old-fashioned screen door to let the breezes flow through and lots of storage for coats and boots and everything else that needs to be handy at the entrance to a home.



The living room has a fresh coat of paint making it much lighter and brighter.  The previous colour was Benjamin Moore Stone House which is the perfect shade of paint for showing off artwork and pairing with wood, but too dark for my one-windowed room!



After Izzy decided to munch on the arm of the armchair that matched my sofa, I moved it out of the living room and added these wicker chairs and nesting tables to create a reading nook.



The dining room has been completely revamped with second hand, mismatched furniture in the style that I wanted and that I painted and/or refinished to make everything coordinate better.  The walls are a creamy white and there is a new chandelier that fits the space better and has the cottagey look I love.





I knocked out the old tiny doorway from the living room into the kitchen to allow more light and airflow - what a huge difference it has made to the flow and feel of the house.


The kitchen was gutted and redone two years ago and now has white cabinets and butcher block counters.   I love my new kitchen!


I painted the sides of my fridge in the same colour as the kitchen cabinets.  It used to be black but the new light and reflective white paint makes this feel so much brighter.





The mudroom, laundry and second bathroom are accessed from the kitchen.  They've been completely made over from when I first moved in and now are filled with light from the two windows I added and the creamy white paint on the walls and ceilings.  I painted the back door with the trim paint and the ugly pipes that were exposed have been boxed in.  I added a long shelf counter, tower shelving and kitchen carts to create a folding table and storage space for laundry and pet supplies.  My recycling is kept in the wood boxes on my baker's rack.





A new industrial style fixture lights up my laundry sink.


My redecorated beachy spa bathroom.






The main bathroom has been made over every year since I first moved in until I finally hit it out of the park last summer adding bead board wallpaper and painting the vinyl floor white.  What a difference!




The guest room has a vintage iron bed and a different vibe from the rest of the house, but it is warm and inviting.



The master is my refuge - turquoise and cream make me happy.





A makeover of my home office opened my eyes to the hoarding that has been going on ever since I moved into this house.  When I packed up the space to allow me to paint the walls, I got rid of a third of the junk accumulated possessions and re-positioned furniture to get a better flow and look.   The result is a much more inviting and useful space.



I built this garden shed last year from all the wood and vintage doors I had stored in my workshop.  As it turns out, it's the perfect size for a tiny potting shed and keeps all my garden tools and paraphernalia out of the sawdust haze that is always going on in the shop.  


To get a few more years out of my existing deck, I flipped over all the boards and sanded them.  They're less checked and cracked now and hopefully I won't need to replace them for quite a while.




On another note, Izzy has now taken over for Max in the photobombing department.



Life is sweet.  Thank you for your comments, your support and for joining me on this journey!





With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!


Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing with:
Metamorphosis Monday

51 comments:

  1. You just knock my socks off! It has been a pure joy to watch the transformation of your little cottage over the years. Each and every nook and cranny is so charming. Your sweet personality is reflected in every room, and your photos capture it all perfectly. Congratulations on your lovely home, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne and Happy Friday !!! Love the tour, so nice to get a newer round-up of your home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love following the transformation. Glad things are working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne
    I've followed along as you turned your home into your dream cottage. You have done an amazing job. Your place is so fresh and inviting now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following along for awhile too, and you really inspire me to just keep trying things until it feels right. Thanks so much for the great tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gayle, I'm thrilled that I could inspire you!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Anne, that is a lovely home you have made. It sounds like at first you never thought it had the potential, but you have the right attitude and abilities to make the changes. I'm guessing that you have also added a LOT of value and could sell your house for much more than you paid for it. Bravo, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks spectacular Anne! All your hard work is paying off big time. From one single girl to another I know how rewarding it feels to have done this yourself :o)

    Izzy is adorable in his photo bomb picture! ha ha!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't comment much (ever?), but I wanted to say that you have done a simply wonderful job making over your house! It is bright, cheery, and so welcoming. Your skills with power tools are to be praised and emulated. I hope you have many happy years in the cozy nest you have made for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very sweet of you to say so, and thank you so much for commenting!

      xox

      Delete
  9. Oh Anne you should be so proud of bringing your purchased house into a beautiful home. Every room is light, cozy and so pretty. I am amazed at how much work you did all by yourself. You rock girl. I am coming some day to spend time in that cozy and welcoming guest room. Loved the tour today.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne you are the queen of finding ways to add more light to a room! The painted-sides-of-fridge and the rustic dresser TV console are two of my favorite new adds to your home. The transformation has been a delight to follow along with you through ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know anyone that has done such a spectacular DYI project. You have completely converted this house to a charming and delightful home. What is so amazing is that you did it all on your own with a tight budget. Bravo!!! It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every room in your cottage now has such a cohesive look. It's cosy, bright and invinting. You've done an amazing job transforming this house into your home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anne, I've been on your journey for years and love what you have done. Everything looks wonderful and fresh. I especially love the flow of things. Kisses to the Maxx and Izzy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following so faithfully Di! and thank you for your sweet comments, too! xox

      Delete
  14. Anne, you've done an amazing job of transforming your house into your cozy dream cottage! Looking through your pictures, I remember the reveals of so many of your projects - even some multiple reveals! :-) Your whole home is so bright and airy and filled with YOU! And your furry kids too, of course :-D You must be so happy and so proud with everything you've accomplished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the changes, your house is charming, and cozy and welcoming! It's light and bright and cheerful. You did a great job, inside and out. awesome job my friend

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have inspired me to try my hand at remodle and decorate, even to try power tools. I am currently looking for a small house and a fixer upper now is a possibility. I found you late in your journey so I will have to spend some time visiting earlier posts. I hope this isn't the end of your blog. Enjpy your finished cottage. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've also followed you through this charming re-do and can't begin to express how inspirational you've been to me - the owner of a small tract home with very little character. Your recent idea of painting the sides of your refrigerator was an eye-opener since I always thought that black sides made what should be a beautiful stainless 'fridge look like it was a stainless door to a black box. You've done a great job - every room is perfect for you - and for the little guys who share this great home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy when I've given someone an idea that they've not thought of before! Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Pat, and for following along.

      xox

      Delete
  18. Beautiful transformation! Love the colours of the cream and turquoise you used in the front entry, would you mind sharing the names of them. With lots of work and determination anything can become a reality! Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Louise! The cream paint is Behr Almond Cream in satin latex and the turquoise is my own mix... I used Behr Agave combined with white paint until I got a turquoise I liked. A similar colour would be Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  19. It's been fun to share your journey in transforming your home, Anne. I love what you've done. It's all so pretty and inviting. I can see why this is your "dream" home. It's perfect. You've done an outstanding job, and you are an inspiration to all of us. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always enjoy a tour of your home! You've made it so comfy and pretty! Love your colors, and all the little extras. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The guest room looks divine! Stunning house ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Summer! I'm partial to that room myself :)

      Delete
  22. It has been fun to see bits and pieces of your home and projects, but as a tour---you can see the flow and livability you have created. Happy spaces=happy heart. Thanks so much for the lovely tour...grins, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  23. You must be so proud of all that you've accomplished! It looks wonderful and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your home is BEAUTIFUL Anne!....I have so enjoyed seeing your amazing projects throughout these past years....you are so truly talented and you should be so proud of what you have done to make this house a beautiful home for you and your fur babies....You are truly an inspiration!!! xoxo's

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your beautiful cottage, Anne!! It is so inviting and charming!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is neat to see al your projects and all your hard work come to fruition in this one post. You have done such an amazing job Anne! You should be so proud of what you've managed to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  27. With everything done, are you ready to start over? Good job all around!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! I can't even imagine doing this much work all over again... but you never know, do you? Thank you Donna!

      Delete
  28. I really enjoyed the new home tour. You've done a fantastic job of turning your fixer into your happy place filled with your own personal style.
    Izzy is good at photobombing. Love those huge ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! She's a CRAZY dog!! Thanks so much Shirlee, and thank you for having followed along for so many years, too. xo

      Delete
  29. Anne, your home is so cozy and inviting. You should be so proud of yourself for all the DIY projects you have taken on yourself and executed so professionally. Girl Power!! Thank you for opening your home to us. Izzy's photobomb is priceless - the look on that face!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You truly have created the perfect home!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am in awe of what you have done with your home, it is bEAUTIFUL! Your eye for making every inch work without making it look cluttered or crowded is amazing. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your home is just gorgeous and if I HAD to pick a favorite, I think it would be your master bedroom. Those cool tones of blue are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have enjoyed watching all the wonderful changes you have made. I wonder when you first moved in that you have imagined that it would look so different. It must feel so good too that it has been through all your own hard effort. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  34. So much work, Anne, but so worth it. I love your master bedroom. The colors are so pretty. xoox Su

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are right ... it is absolutely perfect!!

    Do you like your butcher block counters? Are they hard to keep? stain easily? I'm having my kitchen re-faced, and am changing the countertops. Love the look, but want something easy to care for. Thx. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  36. It brings me such joy to take this tour of your wonderful cottage bungalow, Anne.

    Yes, ma'am, it has indeed been a journey - and when I am faced with a dilemma of fright about painting something or changing something I honestly think of YOU. Now I don't possess enough courage (yet or ever, not sure) of doing anything "Anne-esque" with power tools and mite, but wow do you impress me with all your mad skillz.

    It's awesome to see the whole she-gang. Well done, Anne. I can't say it enough that you did it yourself. alone, on a budget and made a true and perfect home for yourself and your sweet furry-four-legged family. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!