Last year I built a potting shed from old doors and windows and I also built a lean-to awning structure against my workshop to keep the snow from landing at the base of the foundation, thawing and then seeping inside. During the summer months, I noticed how much sun that awning got and decided it was the perfect structure to become my new greenhouse.
Here's how the workshop looked a few years ago, you can see how sunny it is around that window.
So I began by adding a bracket on one side of the window and then discovered that there wasn't enough support in the wall of the workshop to tie into as the window had not been properly installed. I apologize for the mess in this photo, those are all the scrap pieces of wood I used for the potting shed and awning project.
With the amount of snow that potentially could be sitting on the roof of this awning, I had to build much more support into the structure than I had planned. This is how it looked at the end of 2015
I attached a 2x6 ledger board to support the roof across the back top which also sits on 2x4s screwed into the studs of the workshop walls. I screwed right through the siding, probably not my finest moment... Then I added the old doors and extra 2x4s to frame them in. The two old doors on either end of the roof and the 2x4s give the roof the support required. A double 2x4 header runs across the top front to complete the structure. It sits on the 2x4s that you can see on the outer side of the two doors. I used 3/4" plywood for sheathing, tarpaper and metal roofing all of which I had on hand.
Now all I needed to do was to seal up the structure with some old windows. I pieced together old storm windows and odds and ends of lumber to create the right height and width for the opening. D Lawless Hardware kindly supplied the hinges for this project. They have loads of hinges for all purposes at really great prices.
I also cut back the pallet that I'm using as the floor of the greenhouse (it's completely separate from the greenhouse and can be removed if needed) as the wood that stuck out farther than the doors was wicking moisture into the structure whenever it rained. The lattice will be covered inside with a storm window as soon as I find one that will fit. Unfortunately, the one I had cracked when I tried to install it. Sigh...
So now the potting shed and greenhouse look like this:
I couldn't be more pleased! Everything needs a coat of paint, I was only able to get a primer coat on since it's already getting cold here, but it's all set to go for spring. I can't wait!!
Have a great week!
With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!