1980s Hutch Makeovers - Three Different Looks

B E F O R E
(CRAIG'S LIST PHOTO)



As you all know, I change paint colours like I change my clothes... When I picked up this 1980s hutch for a song on Craig's List, I had no idea what a painting odyssey I was about to embark upon!

My poor dining room has been remade many times over until I finally had all the right furniture and colour scheme I wanted for my cottage style 1930s bungalow.  Scroll down to see all the different looks this old hutch has been given!





The initial makeover was my favourite - I replaced the ugly glass (gold etching for a faux diamond muntin look) with hardware cloth.  I painted the inside of the hutch with pale aqua paint on the upper portion and a darker aqua on the drawers.

.



The hardware was sanded to remove the antiquing effect and the outside of the hutch was painted in a custom greige tone.  I loved this look!  but it didn't work with the wall colour and the rest of the furniture in the room.

So last year I painted it turquoise when I opted to paint the chairs in my dining room turquoise.  I painted the knobs and handles in a dark aqua-green shade.  This looked fabulous with the wall colour and you know how much I love turquoise...



This turquoise was a custom colour created by mixing the different shades of turquoise paint that I had on hand.  I loved this look, but the room began to feel overly colourful and the colours didn't work together quite as well as I'd hoped.


Then I found the Windsor chairs that I had always wanted for my dining room and I was in HEAVEN!  They went beautifully with my new/old dining table, but they were all different shades of wood stain.  I wasn't about to strip and restain them all since the wood didn't match either, some chairs were pine, some were oak and some were composite wood.

I began searching for ideas on Pinterest of how to put the whole space together in colours that suited me better.  The more I pinned images, the more I sorted out what look drew me in the most often and what I found was that I loved the look of black and white together with wood best. (Don't you just LOVE Pinterest??)




The hutch was promptly painted in flat black paint and distressed.  The turquoise just peeped through then and picked up the turquoise shade used on the inside of the hutch top.  Of course I didn't stop there,  the rest of the dining room was given a makeover as well.

I now have a summer and a winter look for my dining room.  Below is my winter look complete with Ikea Sanela brown velvet curtains and I shrank the table down by removing the leaf so we all have more room to move around in during the months we are all cooped up inside.



 If you missed my dream dining room makeover post, click HERE to see the new dining room!

 Don't you love it when a plan comes together??!

Have a great week!



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!




Instagram

Follow on Bloglovin

Sharing with Metamorphosis Mondays

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful and I love the velvet drapes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I love about you Anne. You go for what you want! This hutch has seen lots of changes but I know it makes you happy to have the changes. I totally get that with being there several times myself. I have to say so far I am liking the black in your dining room. It looks so pretty and I too am swooning over those velvet drapes. Everything is gorgeous.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Anne, I loove the newest hutch's look! Everything blends perfect now! I have my eyes on your singer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana! Isn't the Singer the most amazing piece? I love the wrought iron...

      xoxox

      Delete
  4. I love the new look of the dining room and the hutch makeover...and must say that I so love those gorgeous drapes too! You created such a beautiful dining room for Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love each version and the most recent color combo along with those velvet drapes has cozy-comfy written all over it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All three are lovely, it just goes to show you the power of paint and the value of a well made solid piece of furniture. If I know you, it will change colour again someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were brave to repaint the hutch so many times, but you were right to go for the look you truly wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great job you've done, and what a difference a change in paint color can make in a room. I also love your velvet drapes and your singer sewing machine. The dining chairs are very nice looking too.

    Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that really looks beautiful. I love the wall color too! totally different look.
    Karen (formerly the decorated nest) just so you know who it is! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. All three of your hutch's transformations look great! The power of paint never ceases to amaze! Thanks for sharing, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, all of the looks are gorgeous! I have a hutch similar to yours...but have not painted it yet. I took off the hutch part and am only using the bottom right now. I love the gray look in the first photos, how did you get that look? What paint colors did you use? BTW - I would love for you to share your amazing projects with us at our Friday Favorites Link Party at http://lightandsavvy.com Hugs- Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christine! and for the invite, too! Check out that full makeover here https://designdreamsbyanne.blogspot.ca/2014/02/the-farmhouse-china-cabinet-makeover.html

      xox

      Delete
  12. It came together beautifully Anne ... you are just so talented.
    Happy Fall.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely seeing all the different looks you have created with one piece of furniture. It just shows you don't need to go out and buy new things if you want a change. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, Anne! I like how it is best now - I love love love painted black furniture.

    Your velvet curtains will keep you nice and toasty in the winter months for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post for those of us hemming and hawing over painting anything. When I had my shop, I had no problem picking colors for other people's pieces. We redid the kitchen and my blue corner cabinet has to be changed. And you are right ---by showing us the evolution of how to get where you really want to be. Grins and thanks, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely. It looks very like you-warm, elegant, and welcoming. Love it! (and velvet is the best winter curtain option in my opinion...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Emily! I love the elegance of velvet, don't you? So rich looking!

      Delete
  17. Your dining room is gorgeous, Anne. I really like the wood with the black. Kim @ Exquisitely Unremarkable did a post a while back about removing water stains on wood using an iron. Did you see that? Just thought I'd mention that as you consider how to remove the stains on your beautiful table. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!