Barn Door Style Storm Door

Another project to deal with an awkward area of my home at the back door...

Thanks to a weirdly low overhang that prevents me from having a proper storm door, I had to come up with a different solution to the usual swing out storm doors.

Not to worry, I had the perfect door to use and with the huge popularity of barn door style doors, I knew exactly how to handle this situation.




Check out the extra low overhang above my back door.


That's Max finding a good spot to hang out where Izzy can't reach him.  For more of Max's antics on the roof, click here Cat on an Asphalt Roof

If you've been a reader of my blog for a while, you'll know that I collect old doors.  I repurpose them in all sorts of ways - greenhouse, potting shed, propping them decoratively in the house - and this door is my favourite.  I used to have it in the dining room but it was the perfect choice for my new rolling storm door.

Door in the dining room.

I dragged the door outside and painted it aqua (naturally...).  I wanted to install barn door style hardware but there was no place to connect the hardware to the house thanks to that ridiculously low overhang.  I bought casters to put on the base of the door so it would slide over the back door easily.  The old door was a bit too narrow to fully cover the back door opening so I added 2x2s to the sides and top of the storm door.


Before I could use this door, I had to remove an old deadbolt lock with stripped screw heads.  I bought a drill bit for using on metal that was approximately the same size as a Robertson screwdriver (the square one).  I drilled holes in the tops of the screws and then inserted the screwdriver and removed them.


It worked beautifully!

I added fixed casters to the bottom of the door so it would slide back and forth easily.  To ensure that the wheels kept an appropriate distance from the trim, I tacked a 1x2 across the base of the back door frame and along the siding where the door slides out of the way.


I ran out of good weather for painting the 1x2 but other than that, this setup works brilliantly!  I can slide it back and forth and it gives me a little extra insulation and protection from the winter weather ahead.

Here are the last roses taken from my garden on Sunday. Aren't they gorgeous??



This coming weekend is the Canadian Thanksgiving, so to all my followers in Canada I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving!



With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!


Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing at
Metamorphosis Monday

12 comments:

  1. Genius!.....you are the master of coming up with a most creative solution!...Beautiful Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne beautiful and AGAIN you rocked it out. Max is a pip on the roof.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Anne, I'm not sure I would have thought to use a rolling barn style door! So, it's not attached at the top?

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely, I think we get too much snow here to do something like that outside. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart solution and also good looking! Aqua is the best color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always come up with clever solutions Anne! The Farmers Almanac says we're in for a tough winter. (Hard to believe with how mild it's been!) Your new door should keep you nice and cozy. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have outdone yourself in the "solve the problem" category! Looks great too! Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated Happy Thanksgiving you clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW... I never would have thought of that. Looks great. Max on the roof ~ cute. Love the little yellow clock and the leaves on your tree are beautiful.

    Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne, what a clever solution and it looks great too! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Ours was a white one as it snowed throughout the weekend. Have you had snow yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You never cease to amaze me with your ideas and skills to implement them. This is fantastic, Anne!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sliding door is a brilliant idea! And I love the colour you used on your doors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!