2016 In Review

2016 was a year of delays.  So many things went sideways that I didn't accomplish much of what I set out to do.  What I did do was to finish up some unfinished projects and I got around to repainting the walls in my living room, dining room and home office.  I'm naming 2016 my "lighter, brighter year".  


Here's my roundup for 2016.


After many years of searching for the perfect furniture for my dining room, I scored 5 Windsor chairs and bought a new chandelier.  Those finds together with a can of black paint and a can of almond cream paint brought my dream dining room into being.







After living with the new dining room for a few months, I opted to take the leaf out of the table.  I hung brown velvet curtains for the winter months and my new dining room makes me smile every time I look at it.



I repainted my home office, hung up some new Ikea curtains and made over the wardrobe/linen closet I keep in that room.  It is much lighter and brighter now.




Another easy makeover was performed in my 2nd bathroom.  I swapped out the towels and shower curtain and gave the room a  more spa-like feeling.



The laundry got a tiny update when I installed a new shelf countertop and relocated the storage cupboard.  The space is much more open and easier to use.  Sometimes the smallest changes have the biggest impact!



The light over my laundry tub was a fluorescent one that bit the dust in early spring.  I picked up a new fixture at Ikea in an industrial style and it looks so much better.



A lamp makeover gave me the perfect lamp for my master bedroom.  All it took was a new lampshade and a can of white spray paint.  The 20 minute makeover!




Next up for this bedroom will be a new queen-sized bed that will fit the space better.


The same wall paint from the dining room was used in the living room and the space is much brighter now.


I created a library / reading nook in the living room with the old dining room chairs and nesting tables.




I used a graphic design to update a mini-stepladder I keep in my kitchen.


 


I accomplished a lot of updates in the yard this year beginning with flipping all the worn deck boards on the main deck to give myself a brand new surface.  Hopefully this will buy me a few more years before I have to replace all the boards.




Another can of spray paint updated the lawn chairs.



Do you remember this shed that I built a year ago?  Well, I decided to dismantle my baby greenhouse and build another lean-to shed beside this one as a greenhouse.


I reused the windows from the baby greenhouse and now I have much more room for starting seeds and growing tomatoes.




My back door got a storm door on wheels to make up for the extra low overhang that prevented me from installing a proper storm door.  So far it's working out beautifully!
BARN STYLE STORM DOOR



My final project of the year was creating a door number plaque from an old square cupboard door I found at the dump.



And now the year has come to a close...

I want to thank each and every one of you for following along on my DIY adventures.  I wish you all the very best of luck, success and joy for the new year!

Happy New Year!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!


Follow on Bloglovin

Sharing with 

 METAMORPHOSIS MONDAY

26 comments:

  1. And I loved every one of those projects... although I don't remember the flipping of the deck boards but what a great idea!! Isn't 2016 the year that Maxx and the new puppy came into your life as well?

    Here's to a productive new year with lots of successful DIY projects!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your decor, inside and out! I missed a couple of these. So glad to see them all in one post. Love the painted swag of flowers on the window. You're so creative! Also, you've given me a great idea for the color our front door (our house is a similar sand color - right now the door is a deep teal.) LOVE everything you do. <3 even your movie/television series selections which has nothing to do with this post. LOL XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love your style. Very beautiful home you have. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun Anne to remember all the wonderful and creative things you did this past year. You are a rock star when it comes to home improvement. I say for 2017 You Go Girl! Happy New Year.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed revisiting your many accomplishments in 2016. I just bought a new to me house and look forward to making it my own. Revisiting these projects sparked ideas for my new home. May 2017 be a blessed year for you. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got quite a lot done in 2016! You are always such an inspiration, Anne. I love how you transform some of your rooms a piece at a time while the room is still lived in. What better way to enjoy each and every phase!! Happy New Year xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You accomplished so much in 2016 and it all looks wonderful.

    I can't wait to see what you share in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You still have managed to achieve some great improvements in your home again this year Anne.
    You have so much inspiration to share can't wait for some more in 2017! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a beautiful house.. we are planning to remodel our home, your pictures will definitely help me.. Loads of thanks for the post..

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Good luck with your remodeling!

      Delete
  10. You just keep on making it better and better. You are so creative and inspiring.
    Blessings and happiness for 2017.
    Hug,s,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly had a very productive year!...So many beautiful projects!!! Looking forward to your creativity in 2017!!! Happy New Year Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow ! Amazing!! Love all your accomplishments especially the barn door.
    You must be so ready to fill that wee green house. I know I would after this
    winter with soooo much snow. Happy New Year Anne and all the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your DIY skills always impress the heck out of me, Anne. I remember each of these projects and always enjoying sipping my morning java and reading your new blog posts. Wishing you a Happy, Healthy, Creative 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all the changes to your home this year. I'm always curious, what will happen if you ever decide to find a new home? Would you consider renovating another space at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a thrill to see all your genius and frugal and awesomely done DIY projects for that darling home of yours! I saw every single one, but didn't see the neat storm-door-on-wheels one. See? You really are clever - I saw it all year every year - I would never EVER have thought of that.

    Awesome job, Anne. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the coming new year!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR, sweet friend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your home is beautiful Anne. You are so clever doing all those projects. Looking forward to seeing what projects you tackle in 2017 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything looks so fresh. You are very talented. I am buying a new house and am planning to use your projects to inspire me. I do have a question. How did you learn to make all the wood products and use power tools? I need a shed for lawn equipment and just love your lean to but I have no earthly idea how to begin. Can you suggest some resources? Looking forward to your new year of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've actually accomplished a lot! The dining room and your bedroom are my favourite rooms, I think, but it's difficult to choose! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your home is looking so great, Anne. You did so much last year. The barn storm door is brilliant. Love that! You are one smart cookie! Looking forward to what you'll share in 2017. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many great transformations for you beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd say you accomplished a lot in your cottage that is chocked full of charm!! Lightening up with paint makes a space look larger, and yours is so warm, cozy, and inviting, Anne. I think I've said it before, but you are an amazing, talented, and skillful woman...definitely one to be admired!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anne! long time since I hopped over to comment but I LOVE all of your updates. I need to do a few myself. My fav is the genius thought of flipping the boards on the deck. And I love seeing that you like the same farm house style/ country decor as I do - the beadboard w/ chair rail, crocks, blue banded bowls, shutters, and the old sewing machine - mine is a NEW HOME. Great round up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much JoAnn! Happy New Year!!!

      Delete
  23. You had a good year Anne. You get more done in a year then I do in five! Everything looks wonderful, how many more months now till you can start those seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anne. Not sure how I found you! lol I hit something and your blog came up. Guess it was meant to be. I am your newest follower and can't wait to get to know you better. Putting you on my sidebar (I read from there) so I don't miss your posts. Have a great Thursday- Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!