DIY Shaker Bench

I've been feeling the itch to build something lately.  I moved the furniture around in my bedroom and with the extra space I created, it was time to build a bench for the foot of my bed.


All I needed to buy was two 12"x36" pine boards,one 1"x4"x8' and one 1"x2"x8".  I got the 12x36 boards from the Pine Shop at Home Depot because they're factory sanded, kiln dried so they don't shrink and warp and the boards make for a nicer finished product overall.  It's a little more expensive but worth it for a piece of furniture I intend to keep for a very long time.


Ana White has a full tutorial on her site if you want to build a bench like this one.  (She calls it her 5 Board Bench.) I modified the plan a bit to shrink it down to a 36" length and to add the crosspiece for support.  
This is also a slightly modified version of the simple bench I created a full tutorial for HERE.  That bench looked like this:

I attached the side pieces along the edge of the seat board and to cut the angle for the side pieces starting at the lower edge of the seat board instead of the top edge.
I couldn't decide whether to paint or stain the bench but since it's easier to paint over stain than to scrape paint off and then stain, I went with the stain. 


It took me less than an hour to cut and assemble this bench.  I love it!

  Icon

Sharing with METAMORPHOSIS MONDAY

17 comments:

  1. Hi Anne, great project, it looks beautiful! I'm curious, how come you've decided not to blog as much? I loved all your posts!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne ... shall miss your posts. Love your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! and thanks for your support, too! xo

      Delete
  3. I was so happy to see a post by you this morning! I've really enjoyed your blog and felt encouraged by your determination and hard work to transform your house. I hope you continue to share once in awhile. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gayle! I'm so glad folks are still following!! I'm in the midst of replacing windows on my house... the work never ends lol! I'm sure I'll have something to share before too long. Thanks for hanging in there with me! xo

      Delete
  4. I was also happy to see your post today!! Wondered where you've been, always love your projects and your energy!! How are the fur babies?? Don't stay away for too long.....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Cleo! Everybody is happy and healthy and enjoying summer weather! Have a great week xo

      Delete
  5. Love the bench. I agree with others that it's nice to see a post from you again. I hope you don't go away forever. It's been great to follow along as you renovate your home. You've inspired me so much, Anne. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep checking in to see if you have posted too. I'm glad you're back at it. Cute bench. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this bench and it is perfect at the foot of your bed!....I am sure there are people who will be asking for you to make them one too!...I see so many purposes for this bench....Beautiful job Anne!....great to "see" you! I am taking a break from packing and staging! Have a great week!!! Happy Summer! BTW, my sister is in Prince Edward Island visiting and is loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know that about the HD Pine shop, but getting wood that is ready to go, even if it cost a little more sure can save a lot of time and energy. Love the bench and the stain color!! So glad you share with us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute Anne. I tell ya you are great with tools. Looks great.
    Happy New Week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was good to see a post from you Anne and as usual what you have created is wonderful. I struggle too to write and read blogs. Sarah. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing!

    I love that little bench.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sending the links Anne. I was so excited to see your new post but when it wouldn't open I was so disappointed. I have only been following for about a year but really missed your inspiring posts. I hope you continue sharing, even if only occasionally. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great project and it looks great at the foot of your bed. I always like when a post of yours pops up in my inbox, but I also understand the need to take time for other things! Enjoy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are amazing..less than a hour to make that bench?!!! ... Love, love it!!! Have a Merry Weekend Anne!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!